Solar Will my DCDC solar regulator work when off grid?

Matty_P

Mar 5, 2022
Brisbane
Hi Guys - new member, looking to install a DCDC charger with inbuilt solar MPPT regulator into my 16.49 Expanda. Its an Itech version not that it matters but installing same type into my car at a later time.
My question is when I am off grid and the van is disconnected from my vehicle will the DCDC solar regulator still work given it wont have power input from the vehicle?
Does the conenected solar panel provide the required voltage for the DCDC charger to work or at least the inbuilt solar regulator to work when not connected to main starter battery?

Thanks
Matt

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Need a model number of your dc unit, panel and battery info...

For any solar regulator to work it must be connected to a battery...... Panels must be connected to battery thru one reg, if you have 2 on the one circuit it wont work.

Most dc-dc units select the best power source be it altetnator or solar.

A good read of the manual us a must.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi Guys - new member, looking to install a DCDC charger with inbuilt solar MPPT regulator into my 16.49 Expanda. Its an Itech version not that it matters but installing same type into my car at a later time.
My question is when I am off grid and the van is disconnected from my vehicle will the DCDC solar regulator still work given it wont have power input from the vehicle?
Does the conenected solar panel provide the required voltage for the DCDC charger to work or at least the inbuilt solar regulator to work when not connected to main starter battery?

Thanks
Matt
Hi @Matty_P , to sort out a bit of confusion. Is the DC to DC unit (with the solar regulator) in the tug or the van??
The DC to DC unit upgrades the voltage from your tug's alternator to provide a proper charging voltage to your van battery, so obviously van has to be connected to tug (and alternator) to work.
Your solar controller controls the voltage and current from the solar panel/s to the van battery, which only works when connected to a battery/s , which it then charges. It has nothing to do with the tug's DC to DC operation.
So, if DC-DC unit is in tug and has a solar controller incorporated in the same unit, then no solar charging to VAN battery/s will occur if tug disconnected from van. If unit is in van, solar power will charge van battery/s only (which it is connected to) and no current is provided to or from the tug battery normally.
It is usual to have DC to DC unit in van, but can also be placed in tug if charging auxiliary batteries. In that case, you will need a separate solar controller unit connected to your solar panel/s to connect to van battery for charging.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Matty_P

Mar 5, 2022
Brisbane
Thanks Boots - I will have a DCDC in both the tug and the van both have inbuilt MPPT regulators, just wasn't sure if the Van one (when installed) would still provide a regulated charge to the van battery with no voltage input from the car
Sounds like the DCDC will continue to operate when disconnected from the tug and it would pull the required operating voltage from either the solar input or output that connects to the battery of the van. In my some mind I'm thinking the charger needs input voltage to operate.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks Boots - I will have a DCDC in both the tug and the van both have inbuilt MPPT regulators, just wasn't sure if the Van one (when installed) would still provide a regulated charge to the van battery with no voltage input from the car
Sounds like the DCDC will continue to operate when disconnected from the tug and it would pull the required operating voltage from either the solar input or output that connects to the battery of the van. In my some mind I'm thinking the charger needs input voltage to operate.
Hi @Matty_P , as explained above, any solar controller (PWM or MPPT type) needs to be connected to a battery, which supplies the small amount of power necessary to operate and charge the connected battery with solar generation. Just remember, a lot of controllers may need a certain level of voltage/power to start operating initially. and also to detect and set charging voltage for either a 12 volt system or a 24 volt system.

Reactions: Matty_P