16' Series Wicking/Condensation HELP!

Mouse

Aug 9, 2015
Victoria
Hi all, had our first couples of night in our expanda, and we are super happy! However we had trouble with wicking/condensation on one of the beds. It appears to have come through the canvas walls and then hit the base (that the bed goes on) making the underside of the mattress wet. Admittedly it has been constant rain (not heavy) the whole time, we hadn't seasoned the canvas yet and didn't have the privacy screens on...my question is once we do all these things will the wicking/condensation still happen? And what do you do to combat it?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Mouse and welcome. Water wicking is a very common issue with Expandas because Jayco dealers, salesman and hand over dudes are clueless on the canvas seasoning techniques that have been known forever with tent people

Read the attached post and most of your issues should "dry up" ... that a funny, right there. See how i cleverly included light humour. Cheers mate

Seasoning canvas

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep.

• Season canvas...wet down several times, allow to dry and endure all is dry before closing bed ends
  • Use screens...privacy or whatever
  • Never, never let your mattress touch the canvas
  • Have a drink and stop worrying if the above is done

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Then when it's all nice and dry, soak the bastard in waterproofing, the spray stuff in the squirty bottle for drizabone's, available from all saddle shops, not those pressure pak jobs though, once that is done you won't need a $600 weather sheild around it either, did mine and it would go thru Noah type storms with only the privacy screen and we were snub as a bug, and dry too boot......

At a recent caravan show the Jayco fella said you don't have to do that anymore, it's old school......I told him he needs to get out and use his product more.....lol,lol,lol.