What to do,what to do?

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Ah the dilemma of it all, just for something to do we went and looked at the 14-44-4 today after looking at moto motos and albo42s van and was really impressed with the layout for a smaller van. Our van is a 17ft touring model without hws and extra water tank or shower. We have only had our van for three months and love it, I'm just thinking of getting a little more adventurous and the 14 ft outback would be good for it but when we started crunching numbers we were going to be 4-5k out of pocket ouch,we were after a lot of extras but I don't like throwing money away. If we do anything it has to be soon as we have a big trip planned for September. All I can say is damn this forum if it wasn't for cruza drivers trips or kenshis great looking outback or moto moto and albos vans I wouldn't have this problem! Answers please?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
C'mon its not my fault :D

I know your dilemma, we have this talk about different layouts and models of Jayco's. We have gone down to the dealer each time and gone and sat in the and weighed up the pros and cons of ours and other models. Maybe wright downa list of the pros and cons of your Expanda against the 14's.

I guess a few things to think about is the internal size of the Expanda is suitable for storage and floor space? Also where you want to tow it and what suits your style of trips.

Good Luck, and dont forget about the 16's ;) just to confuse you :thumb:

Edit: I agree with Brad try and sell private too

Reactions: 17triton

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
:D

Not my fault either!!! Lol i feel your pain.
I agree with brad mate, sell privately. 17footers are super popular and I don't think you will have trouble there.
The 14.4 is a great layout and the outback does give you more options in terms of where you can travel/stay.

As Cruza says you will lose storage and space (still good IMO) when compared to 17 foot of course.

I reckon a PMI chart is the go (plus, minus, interesting). List all the pluses, minuses and interestings for purchasing and evaluate from there.

good luck with it all mate.

Reactions: 17triton

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
There should be plenty of buyers out there wanting to buy an 'as new' Expanda, without having to wait for a brand new one to come off the line. Private sale could surprise you!
Keep us all posted!

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Agreed Lara. We drove from ballarat to Ararat today (80km) and we saw a heap of campers returning from lithe long weekend. We counted 9 expandas and four of them were 17footers. I don't think you will have an issue selling it mate.

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
The 14 is perfect for a couple, we have quite a few empty overheads and nothing under our dinette, imo there is still to much crap in there (swmbo disagrees of course -should have seen her fit everthing in our 12.37-2 lol)

theye a great size to tow/store and i love single axle, and not needing the extra bed renders the 16 pointless for us.

we regularly tow ours on the beach with no issues

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Just an update we are going to keep the "old" van lol. We decided against going smaller and to stick to the blacktop more using parks for most of our stays. Thx again to everyone for your thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated. Now back to more mods!