Wet canvas rooftop in expanda bed end - inside only?

VickiS

Mar 13, 2013
Giddaye all

we have a 2013 expanda just started a 5 month trip in. We have been on the road just over a week and the last 2 nights have experienced an odd problem at one of the bed ends I am wondering if anyone else has hAd and knows how to prevent.

last night staying in Sydney and nighttime low around 10 degrees. When we woke up this morning I noticed one of the expanda bed eroof canvas ceilings was wet to the touch on the inside of the bed end. So wet that when i pressed hard with the back of my hand a drop of water fell out. I looked for leaks ouTsIDE but the outside roof and sides were all bone dry...closer inspection inside shows that the wetness on the canvas roof is worse around the edges and I can also SEE moisture on the metal bar that holds the canvas bed end shape at the far end! It's almost like condensation. We didn't experience this the first few nights when we were in Canberra and it was far colder and we were running heating.

any ideas what is causing and how to fix??

vicki

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yep, sounds like condensation to me. Not sure why you didn't get it in cold Canberra?
You could try some waterproofing bed fly's, as they will create a bit of insulation around the bed ends. You can buy them or DIY. But that's the only thing I can think of that may help.
Condensation around the pop top skirts is also common when the temp drops at night time.
Other members may have other ideas and fixes. Hope you get it sorted! Let us know how you get on!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Had that issue with our camper a few times solved it by just leave the bed end windows (side ones) open a few inches, never had a problem with the Panda, usually leave the pop top window on the awning side open also,

Currently in Tumut 4 degress overnight, heater on till bed time no issue.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Had that issue with our camper a few times solved it by just leave the bed end windows (side ones) open a few inches, never had a problem with the Panda, usually leave the pop top window on the awning side open also,

Currently in Tumut 4 degress overnight, heater on till bed time no issue.

Same here for us, we do exact same thing. Pace.

Xpress

Mar 8, 2013
Yes it certainly sounds like condensation. Like Bushman we used to get it in the bed ends of our Swan in the cooler months - the roof section was vinyl and so doesn't breathe like the canvas sides (think it is the same in the Pandas?). Like others have said open up a side to get some air circulation or crank up the heater.