17' Series Wet canvas/bed ends

Bigben

Jul 13, 2013
Hi
I've just bought 17.56-2 jayco expanda outback, currently we are travelling the great ocean road and have come across some wet weather, I unpacked the bed ends today and noticed the front bed canvas was wet, rain has been steady all day and canvas seams are wet, does anyone have a solution for keeping canvas dry. We are continuing tomorrow and concerned about folding up bed ends wet and getting beds wet..they are already damp along edge. Any suggestions appreciated
cheers

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Did you cure the canvas by wetting it down then drying it out a few times before you left? There is also canvas water proofing spray you can buy which might help.

Huffo04

Jul 10, 2013
Brisbane
Hi Ben I hope you got that sorted nothing worse than water getting in! For some unknown reason , at some stage we had a foam pool noodle in our van and my wife (who has all the good ideas, just ask her) put it between the canvass and the mattress. That definitely kept the mattress dry by keeping it away from the canvass. That is no full term fix, but it helped us on the run. We have a plastic end cover now ;)

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
I'm in the same situation but I don't wont to pay $1000 for 2 waterproof sides my first idea I used shower curtain double sided tap kept coming of but this was a spare if the moment thing I'm chasing some plastic sail track to put just inside of hard lid once I put this in place ill get some vinyl material sew up to thread through sail tack the only tricky part is getting the measurements right for the vinyl I suppose probably get away with $250 both sides I reckon

StevoPX

Aug 28, 2013
hi new member here, is this a big problem with expanda's? That plastic idea sounds good.

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
If it has canvas on the ends canvas gets wet and anything that touches it get wet also like bedding mattress best bet is to get bed ends made up theirs alot of ways to do it I've learnt the hard way I've just spent $1000 trying to make my own its better material though but holidays annex is the way to go I reckon to order some up

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
hi new member here, is this a big problem with expanda's? That plastic idea sounds good.

I don't think it is a big problem, just added protection. Search the site, there are many methods of what members have done.

Hi, We didnt have the issue of our bedding getting wet. But hubby, always felt the drought & cold coming through the canvas. So I purchased 1 meter by 2 meter length from Clarke Rubber & cut it to the shape of the bed. Works a treat, keeps the whole panda warmer. The foam roll was $30 a roll, so $60 for both beds. Only downfall is having to put them up each time (between the matress & canvas. :)

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
Hi Nesspop
I gather you insert foam between the mattress & canvas. I am interested in your idea.How thick is the foam, How high up the canvas does it stand & is it special foam ?
Many thanks
jvp

Hi jvp,

It is a blue roll out camping (bed) foam approximately 5 mm thick. And yes we put it between the mattress & canvas. The hight could be anything you want, I cut ours to cover the whole side wall, which stops the light, cold & wet. I am going to set it up to take a photo on the weekend, as requested by another member, so you can see :) Friends of ours have also done this to their expander & love it.

Foam around out bed :)

Attachments

• DSCN1079.JPG
    DSCN1079.JPG
    972.6 KB · Views: 420

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Looks good nesspop! I've done a similar thing but instead of camping matt I've sewn some cotton fabric together with a piece of open cell foam inside, basically a quilt. I made three pieces to the right shape, one for each of the three canvas walls.

Reactions: Nesspop