16' Series Weights..

Oct 12, 2015
Newcastle
Hey all,

Purchased a 2010 16.49.30OB the other day and have been doing some reading on weights.

I've noticed that my TARE MASS is quiet higher than most van's I have seen for sale.

TARE MASS 1804
Empty Ball Mass 190
Axle/Axil Group Load Cap. 1980
ATM 2129
GTM 1939

From my reading (here and google) the tare mass is the weight fully loaded from factory (full water tanks, full gas bottles + extras fitted).

Most of the plates I have seen have Tare at about 1650 - 1700 ish.

Just wondering what may of driven the tare mass up?

Any other 16.49.30OB owners in the same TARE bracket?

Cheers

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi @Michael Watterson and welcome. That does seem fairly high for a single axle outback 16 footer. My old 16.49-2 OB had an ATM around 1850kg from memory. @Holden_man has steered you in the right direction with his post above.

What extras might have been fitted at the factory and thus weighed into the Tare weight? Roof top air conditioning, extra batteries perhaps? Extended
Extended drawer bar?

A phone call to Jayco head office would no doubt help. They'd be able to look up the build sheet and possibly give you the definitive answer. Cheers. (And enjoy!)

Reactions: Rockape and Delano

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Ask if the batteries were weighed into the Tare (ie factory fitted and weighed as the rig leaves the production line). That's 60 odd kg's. Add the BBQ. The rest seems pretty normal.

Tech specs on the Jayco site pretty much align with your figures. Tare 1799KG. Ball weight 178KG.

Add your BBQ (my guess is batteries might have come later) and you'd be on the money.

Look after your bearings, tyres and their pressure (as you only have two it is particularly important to regularly check them). A quick check for evenness of hub temperatures each time you stop is a good habit to get into. A significantly hot or higher hub temperature on one side indicates a problem.

Just remember anything fitted after the initial Tare weight eats into your payload.

Reactions: Rockape and Delano

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Welcome. *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* with the previous comments. It could well be correct with all those fitted extras.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Is there anyway you can get the ATM weight on a van re-certified later when some extras like battery, water tank etc are added so it frees up some kg's again to carry gear in the van?
Our 2nd hand van we are picking up didn't have many options fitted from the factory, in the future would like to add a battery, solar, 2nd water tank and 2nd gas bottle which sounds like it will eat into how much gear we can then carry quite a bit.

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Hi @spiderpig in most cases yes it is possible but...
You will need to take the van to an inspection centre and it will still be limited by the maximum axel loading and loadings per tyre.
You may find that you need to upgrade suspension, tyres, and maybe rims to allow the upgrade depending on the current situation and required extra load

Reactions: achjimmy

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Hi @spiderpig in most cases yes it is possible but...
You will need to take the van to an inspection centre and it will still be limited by the maximum axel loading and loadings per tyre.
You may find that you need to upgrade suspension, tyres, and maybe rims to allow the upgrade depending on the current situation and required extra load

The reason i thought it might be a viable option on the van we purchased is its an outback which has the usual upgraded suspension, wheels, chassis etc. But wasn't optioned up with much from the factory, whereas one that was would be running all the same running gear/chassis etc but as it was optioned from the factory would have higher weight limits already certified and legal on the vin plate. Wondering if its something a local Jayco shop could look at and do?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The reason i thought it might be a viable option on the van we purchased is its an outback which has the usual upgraded suspension, wheels, chassis etc. But wasn't optioned up with much from the factory, whereas one that was would be running all the same running gear/chassis etc but as it was optioned from the factory would have higher weight limits already certified and legal on the vin plate. Wondering if its something a local Jayco shop could look at and do?

They'll refer back to the factory if they'll do it. Otherwise you do it through a third party engineer.

Reactions: spiderpig

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would hazard to say I think the compliance plate is another dodgy one with wrong info. The axle cap doesn't seem right to me, it's usually more than the ATM so can only assume the rest of the info is wrong.

Tyres and rims are supposed to be 10% more than max weight some I've seen are not though, I changed my alloy rims rated at 1 ton to wider steel rims rated at 1.2 ton and fitted wider, higher rated tyres.

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I would hazard to say I think the compliance plate is another dodgy one with wrong info. The axle cap doesn't seem right to me, it's usually more than the ATM so can only assume the rest of the info is wrong.

Tyres and rims are supposed to be 10% more than max weight some I've seen are not though, I changed my alloy rims rated at 1 ton to wider steel rims rated at 1.2 ton and fitted wider, higher rated tyres.

Nah mate she's right. That's the thing with the 16:49-3 once it's optioned up. The old live axle is a 50mm square so it's only good for 2T Max but cause all the options they End up with that ATM when loaded. It's totally dodgy IMO as its realieing on too many factors close to the max. And the wheels and tyres well you know my thoughts? I can't see how Jayco should ever of sold a 16:49-3 on 15"s!!!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Unbelievable @achjimmy must be a few running around with slightly bent axles I reckon, some good corrugations. would do it.

Reactions: bigcol