Weight distribution hitch - Pathfinder

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
Recently took delivery of 2013 16.49-3B. Love it. Big change from Jayco Swan.

Anyway, traveling near Yass overtaking a semi doing 90km/h approx and me doing 100km/h approx I got the sways. Most gut churning moment I've had driving, mainly because it wasn't over in a second like other incidents can be. Anyway, made me decide to get a WDH. I know how much of a difference it made to my Aurion when towing the Swan.

Question: since I have the haymen Reese towbar, my tow bar mount receiver sits fairly high. To get the 275kg/600lb HR WDH I'll need to get a longer shanK - so I would like to know if any Pathy drivers out there have got sim setup and if so what size shank they got?

Such a shame Jayco make the Outback model with the hitch set at the bottom of the draw bar rather than at the top.

Cheers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Is yours the outback model? If yes then the shank definitely becomes shorter in the pathie. I remember having to use quite a long shank on the old non outback version of the expanda.

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
Yep, is outback - so longer shank will be needed. Almost defeats the puprose not to have hitch at top of draw bar. I saw someone had modified there's to move it to top of draw bar, but I wouldn't know how to get the right engineering and insurance approvals for that.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
But now that I have an outback model is was able to go with a shorter shank.... Perhaps I should go and measure mine tonight.

Memem

Apr 29, 2013
We have a 2011 Pathfinder and you can't use a WDH on it. Not sure what model yours is, but check it out because you could void your warranty. We have a bit of sag towing our OB Eagle and are about to install air bags

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Somebody can correct me, but I thought I read somewhere that you can use a WDH on a pathie if you use a Hayman Reece towbar and not a genuine Nissan bar.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Somebody can correct me, but I thought I read somewhere that you can use a WDH on a pathie if you use a Hayman Reece towbar and not a genuine Nissan bar.
Yep that is correct, Nissan are saying dont use one to cover their butts after a few issues arised when the R51 came out

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Yes, I had a longer shank on mine also, and used the WDH on the HR bar.

Be aware though that the WDH will address how level the van sits, but it isn't designed to change the lateral movement of the van as such. Whilst a level van should also handle better, which should reduce the effects of sway or yaw, it may be necessary to have a sway control arm fitted if it persists.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I had a 95mm on mine - but I also had a 40mm lift on the pathy, plus airbags.
You just need to measure the hitch height of the van when it sits level (unhitched) and compare that to the vehicle and choose what is appropriate for yours. there are a few sizes available. - std, 30mm, 95mm & 160mm.

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
Thanks SD. I think there's about 4 inches between the hitch height and the vehicle essentially unloaded. I've been thinking about getting the hitch raised to on top of the draw bar, underslinging the axle on the van (although I don't want it much higher than it is), and although it's too late i could possibly have got bigger tyres for the van. Given I want to lift the Pathy if I decide to keep it (tossing up a ute for GVM reasons), then it seems like I should start off on the right foot with the 95mm shank. Thanks heaps for your help.

Also, I am not sure it would work on the Pathy because of the small diametre springs, but my old grandpappy (Ford Maverick) and uncle (Commodore) each put tennis balls in their springs to reduce sag. When my uncle took his car to the mechanic for a checkup after having the tennis balls in there for about 10 years or so, he was advised his suspension was shot! He had one busted tennis ball on the left, and two busted tennis balls on the right. Cost him about $3 to fix.