WDH Length

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
I've been offered a new 550lb/250kg Hayman Reese WDH for $500.
Sounds like a good price and from what I gather the weight will suit a 17.56.2 but what length bars will I need 28" or 30" ?

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hey Drewy

Mate that sound expensive because you can get a brand
new ezylift for under $700 and if its a old Reese hitch it might be all right,
but if it’s one of the new ones that are made in China I would stay away from it.

Look at both if you can and compare them. I bet ya you will end up buying
the ezylift due to the quality of the WDH over the Reese Hitch.

Try this link and look at the
EAZLift 600 Series 272KG Hitch, NO SHANK. 48066

http://caravanspareparts.com.au/towing-kits-parts-towing-kits-c-51_1001_435.html

350-05600L.jpq

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/244-Weight-distribution-hitches

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
I've recently learned that the choice of bar length is only to avoid fouling any existing attachments (jockey wheel, etc) on the draw bar. So if neither of them are going to foul anything, I guess go for the shorter one. [Edit: may have learned this by reading the thread skippy linked to(??)]

We recently got a HR hitch (the 600, for $800+ including ball mount, so the 550 for $500 doesn't sound too bad), but now I'm on the search for a different design because the HR hangs so LOW. Drag on the ground low, just like the spare wheel carrier on the expanders.

I'm sure a wd hitch could be designed so it doesn't hang much below the draw bars. This one: http://www.trojanparts.com.au/index.asp?PageID=2145850253 looks like it might be designed to sit beside rather than below the draw bar. But it's only rated160kg [Edit: wizzerwazzer has pics of the trojan on the thread skippy linked to. Can't say if they sit any higher than other types of hitches]

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
I'm on the search for a different design because the HR hangs so LOW. Drag on the ground low, just like the spare wheel carrier on the expanders.

Mmmmmmm thats a good point, the Pajero even with suspension lift has'nt got the best clearence, so I don't want to create any extra hang up points. To add to that I've gone with the extended draw bar which will add to the spare wheel issues. I'll check out this Trojan unit.

legweak

Jul 14, 2011
New Beith, QLD
My 550lb Hayman Reese which I have had for 7 years hangs VERY low on the Outback 17.56-1. I never had a problem with it on the old cars and vans, but on my 2010 Prado and 17.56-1 it is causing a problem. When you get your caravan, get the dealer to try it first. You may be better off with a different brand.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I started with the Eza-lift because the dealer sold it to me as it was cheaper the the HR.

With the Eza-lift I couldn't open the back door of the PJ nor could I get it level enough and the adjustments on the hitch head aren't as fine as the HR, we tried a longer drop shank, but it was too long.

Since changing to the HR I have no problem with the rear door and now sits level, also have no problem with bars dragging.

You can lift the bars higher by adjusting the angle of the head, however that may set it off level or if bars are to high could fowl the drawer bar you should have a minimum of 4 free chain links.

The only thing is that the supplier of my HR actually supplied the 750 lb instead of 550 lb at no extra cost because he didn't realise he had no stock on the day, I thought is would be OK if I ever upgraded the van.

A HR rep told me I shouldn't run bars that are rated more than I require

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Thanks Bushman, as a fellow Pajero owner do you feel the HR's hitch sit's too low and would cause any hang ups?

Hello Bushman

I too have a Pajero NS SWB and I have no problems opening up the rear door. I do a lot of free camping and not once have I ever had a problem with clearance with the Easylift.

Maybe the reason I dont have any problems with height, is because on the rear of my Paj I have poly airbags and for the sake of $100, I would say its saving all of the problems with the back end bottoming out.

Tow Safe

Skip

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I am looking at a WDH for our Prado and van and have been advised that the best one is the "Ezylift". I have no idea as I've never needed one.

What do you all advise from past experience.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hello Bushman

I too have a Pajero NS SWB and I have no problems opening up the rear door. I do a lot of free camping and not once have I ever had a problem with clearance with the Easylift.

Maybe the reason I dont have any problems with height, is because on the rear of my Paj I have poly airbags and for the sake of $100, I would say its saving all of the problems with the back end bottoming out.

Tow Safe

Skip

Hi Skip

I too have airbags, granted I didn't have these when I had the Eza-lift, I also towed my Swan with out a hitch and no bags and had no problems with the standard tow bar, it wasn't till we got the Expanda we add the Eza-lift even with it on the lowest setting the door wouldn't open and I also have the spare wheel lifter on the PJ.
I too never had a problem with the bars hanging up/ bottoming out, though while they do sit more parallel to the A-frame I don't think they sit any higher than from the ground.

dont think there's any difference in rear door arrangement between the SWB and the LWB Pj's The biggest bonus of the Jayco OB models as far as PJ's go is that drop coupling does help with the clearance, many people tow vans of any brand that have a standard top mount coupling and use a WDH of any sort can't open the door.

Happy travels,

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Thanks Bushman, as a fellow Pajero owner do you feel the HR's hitch sit's too low and would cause any hang ups?

Hi drewy,

While I would like the bars to sit higher, I've never had an issue with the bars, hanging up/bottom out. In off road situations other than good graded dirt roads it's advisable to take them off. The hitch itself has hit the ground on the odd occasion but I will stress that was on departure of a very step driveway with poor angles to the road and going out straight, without the van on.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hi drewy,

While I would like the bars to sit higher, I've never had an issue with the bars, hanging up/bottom out. In off road situations other than good graded dirt roads it's advisable to take them off. The hitch itself has hit the ground on the odd occasion but I will stress that was on departure of a very step driveway with poor angles to the road and going out straight, without the van on.

Well so far the HR for me sounds like the go, the rear door opening is very important as is the rear clearance and the HR sounds like the better of a few evils for the Pajero. On top of all that $500 for the complete HR set up is a great price, so it ticks that box as well.