Water Tank setup

flash

Mar 10, 2011
Tassie
Hi All,

I recently purchased a S/H Expanda 14.44outback (Shower model)and absolutely love it....but because it was S/H there is no manual or other info to answer my questions.I have downloaded the Jayco users manual but it does not give any info onTank setup.

Can anyone tell me where I might find onfo on how the water tanks are setup, there are 2 ...82 Litre ,can I isolate them, does the water level automatically level between the 2,which one draws water for showers ,dishes ,cuppas etc.etc. any info would be great or a manual that details this if anyone can suggest where I might find one.

Thanks,

Flash

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Flash & welcome to the Forum. I have the same model purchased new late last year. As you said, the manuals tell you nothing on the water tanks but I did ask when picking it up and was told that the water tanks are not separate. They are connected to each other by a pipe so as one goes down the other will follow it. I had hoped to use one for grey water (pumped from a creek or something similar) which would be used in the shower, but there is only one filler so both tanks are filled in one go. Also the only water pump feeds the shower as well as the sink.

If you have only one filler and one 12v pump then both tanks are connected. To isolate them you would need a filler to each tank, block off the connecting pipe and a fit second 12v pump. It is do-able, just expensive.

Let's know what you find.

Paul

Reactions: bigcol

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Flash, I must hang my head in shame and apologise for giving you a bum steer. :( I am in the process of trying to make a stone guard for the front of my van and had cause to get underneath. While there I had a closer look at the water tanks. There are two separate fillers, one for each tank and no direct connection between the two tanks. There is a line comes off each tank and goes to a switch type tap which appears to allow the 12v pump to pull water from one tank at a time. If one tank empties, then it seems I have to get under and switch to the other tank. The same pump will pull from each tank so I guess I still can't use non-potable water in one tank and drinking water in the other.

It appears to be a plumbers nightmare under the the van with clear tubes running every which way as the drain pipes are there along with fresh water pipes. I think I will get under again when I finish my current job and put different coloured insulation tape on all the pipes to distinguish them.

Again, my apologies for the mis-information. I hope you have it sorted out by now. :confused:

Regards

Paul

flash

Mar 10, 2011
Tassie
Hi Paul,

I did the same ...climbed under and as you say a plumbers nightmare, My conclusions were the same as yours, but I am yet to work out how the two shut off taps (if thats what they are) that are located just in front of the wheel actually work either???if the tanks are self levelling you shouldn,t need to switch from one tank to the other ....I was hoping they may isolate each tank, and perhaps they do isolate in some way just in case it all springs a leak ........I'm sure that with a little more playing around I'll eventually work it all out................Thanks for your help.

Bob

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Bob. The tanks are isolated. There is just the one switch type tap so I don't think the tanks are self levelling and you will only draw out of one tank untill you physically switch to the other.

I have to take mine back to a dealer as the boot still leaks so I will try and get the full story then.

Paul

Russell

Sep 13, 2010
G'day Bob, I am new to this site and have a 16.49.1 with twin water tanks, purchased August 2010. My set up has a tap in a T set up. There is a little arrow on it and if the arrow is facing the out line then it is drawing from both tanks. If the arrow is facing either line from the tank it is drawing from only that tank. This allows for you to isolate if you have a leak. Hope this helps.

Russell

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I usually drain one tank 1st then I know exactly how much water we have left especially when bush camping for a few days.

We have an RV control panel too, but we find its a good way to monitor the water use. :rolleyes:

Mojo

Nov 26, 2017
Avenel
Hello everyone,
We are on our first trip with an expanda.. Tanks aren't filling and what water we can get in, we are hand holding the hose to the filling point. When I use water in the kitchen you can hear the water bubbling and rumbling..

Thanks everyone...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Roll underneath and check the fill or breather hoses aren't kinked...........If when filling, the fill point spits water then it shows you have water in the breather, usually as the hose is lower than the top of tank, just increase the hose pressure and it should blow the line clear, just stand back.

Reactions: bigcol