Water Tank Bypass??

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
Guys,
We'll likely be camping in a few locations next year where the only water available will be river, creek etc.

We've done this once this year so the only option was to use the water jerry cans (20ltr x 2) to collect from the creek then painfully pour into the water tank.

So the obvious question is...is there a better way?

I've seen where a few guys have used one of those 12v shower pumps to move water from jerry cans to the tank. So that's one option. But I thought since I already have a 12v pump in the van would it be possible to rig up a system whereby you disconnect the hose that draws from the tank and place it straight into the Jerry cans, which will leave the onboard 12v pump to suck straight from the jerry. Anyone done something like this, or have a better option?

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
Gave it a crack today, was pretty simple. Just some 13mm irrigation accessories and a couple of taps. Hook up a hose with a standard male/female connection. Drop the hose (with attached filter) into jerry can - all good.

Attachments

• 14 - 2.jpg
    14 - 2.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: blacky

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
You could possibly use one of the 12V shower pumps as they are submersible. You could use it to transfer from the jerry cans to the van so long as you can fit the pump into jerry can opening.

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
You could possibly use one of the 12V shower pumps as they are submersible. You could use it to transfer from the jerry cans to the van so long as you can fit the pump into jerry can opening.
Yeah that was my first thought, but I really didn't want to use/find another power source or take more equipment.

What I came up with worked well, simply disconnect from the tank and place a hose straight into the jerry can. No carrying extra pumps, no carrying extra power accessories; happy camper :)

Reactions: blacky