Water pump problem

Little oz

Feb 27, 2012
We recently bought a 2010 16-49-1 outback. Having problems getting the water pump to turn off When on the road Even when tanks are full. The only way they stay off is if I take the fuse out. I thought if I turned the battery switch off this would stop the pump but it doesn't. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Are you saying that it doesn't stop when it takes up pressure? if so, I had a similiar problem there is a grub screw on the pump that needs to be wound back a half turn to make it stop on pressure.

If you can't find the pump switch I think there are 3 possible locations:
1: Drifter control panel - one switch is the battery and one is the pump.
2: Coast control panel - one switch is battery voltage and the other is water pump.
3: If you don't have any control panel there can be a switch the same as a single light switch in a house, usually located near the gas HW switch, but has been known to be installed anywhere... if you need pictures let me know.

Hope one of these helps your situation

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
If you have the tow vehicle plugged in the pump may still get power from it even with the power switch off. The power switch isolates the van battery from the setec but your setec will still be connected to your car supply. Is it the fuse in the setec that you remove to stop the pump. Our pump used to be always turning on and off due to a dodgy non return valve, replaced the non return valve with a good quality one and it never runs on any more. As noted above it is usual to have a separate switch for the pump as well.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
we have had the same problem with the pump running continualyy but this is only after i have refilled the tanks. i found that if i run the shower or the tap for a minute or so this gets rid of the air lock and the problem is solved.

Reactions: Little oz

Little oz

Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Have not had a chance to look at it lately. Been busy with the sale of our business. Big trip coming soon. Can't wait

Little oz

Feb 27, 2012
Just checked the water pump. When on 12v I can turn it off at the switch. When on 240v it comes on to fill up then comes on in little bursts every now and again. I could not see a water leak. Looked to turn the pressure down as per bigmans advise however I could not locate the pressure screw. Does anyone know where this is and how to turn the pressure down on the pump.
thanks

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Little oz and welcome to the forum. If you are on 240v are you on mains pressure water? If so, you don't need the pump and can turn it off. The tap selects the mains water line and bypasses the pump. If left on with mains pressure it will give short bursts every so often (I don't know why :( ) so just switch it off.