Water problem

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
I know this makes me sound like a dummy but I'll just admit to it upfront.
When I use my water pump in our 17.56 a lot of water is lost through a metal piece in the hose connections under the van. This part of the hose connections is approx 125mm, has 2 small holes in it through which the water appears to overflow and trickle to the ground.
The pump if it is a pump is stamped HEFLEX (?).
I googled it and also tried the jayco website but obviously had no success as here I am.
Can an expert please tell me what it is and what it does.
Can it be fixed or does it have to be replaced.
Seeing all your precious water end up on the ground when you are free camping could turn a man to drink!
Thanks
John

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day John, I don't know of any metal piece in the hoses under the van. The only pump is inside the van in a cupboard so photo would help if you can post one.

By the way, we don't have dummies on the forum, only members who want to learn more about their vans. :D

Reactions: JASA

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
G'day John, I don't know of any metal piece in the hoses under the van. The only pump is inside the van in a cupboard so photo would help if you can post one.

By the way, we don't have dummies on the forum, only members who want to learn more about their vans. :D

Well said there CR ....

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
sounds like it could be a pressure regulator/one way valve. On my old flamingo it was fitted under the seat inside and leaked not long after I bought the camper and when using the pump it would force water out of those little holes onto the floor. Hope this helps

Patto

Jul 14, 2013
Perth
You can either send to yourself as an email then from that email, save it to local spot on your pc/laptop, then go thru the attachment option in the posts to put up picture. Works for me.
That's how I get photos from my Iphone to attach to posts.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
On my iphone you just click on upload file under the box you type message in, it then says choose file, click on choose file and it then goes to my photo album on my phone and then I just choose the photo.

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Sorry folks - been away with the boys for a week playing golf (no not in the expanda).
Anyway been under the van with the iPad and took some photos of the offending (and leaking) part which hopefully you are all about to see.
All help will be great fully accepted.

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
Just reinitiating this thread so I may be able to solve my problem - I was getting too far down the page in the forum!
Is that cheating?

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Looks like either a non-return valve or a pressure limiting valve. You should be able to get a replacement at any plumbing supplies shop.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Where exactly is it leaking from? If the leak is at the unions it could be as simple as taking it out, cleaning the pipe ends, cleaning the end of the device to get all the mud and grit out and refitting.

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
It's not leaking from the pipe connections.
There are two little holes in the device and it is leaking through one of these.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
That being the case, sounds like it is a relief valve, i'd suggest removing it, there should be Details on it somewhere, stamped or cast possibly. These may show a pressure rating in psi, its possible that an internal spring may be broken or jammed causing it to 'go over relief'

I'd rip her out and take it down to a plumbing supply shop mate- they may even be able to pull it apart and fix it for you.

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
Yes you are all right. I have determined that it is a pressure limiting valve made by a company called Brewers and using the product description "REFLEX".
I phoned Jayco to get a replacement and they quoted me $125 for a new one which I thought was a bit rich?
I located the same product in Masters hardware (over internet)for $74 and have ordered same.
Now I believe that this device reduces mains pressure to 350kPa which I can understand may be necessary to protect fittings etc. but why does it leak when I'm using my tanks and pump?
Why is it so?
I can't understand why information on the Jayco product is not available - such as is provided with a new motor vehicle.
If it wasn't for the info provided by members on this site, us novices would all be lined up at caravan repair centres. Ah, maybe that's why !

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
I imagine that if ithad a broken spring or similar it would reduce the pressure maintained against the relief- and as such reduce effective working pressure from 350kpa to bugger all - maybe causing your water pump to 'overpressurise' and blow over.. That is, assuming the holes are to vent excessive pressure? Anyway, glad to hear youre onto it mate.