Water leaking from under fridge

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
Gday all

Out on our first trip in our 21.64 OB We have noticed water leaking under our club lounge, it has been raining quite a bit. Chased it back and found it was coming from under the fridge. We have an RM4605 fridge.

I also note that there are dry water stains, so it obviously has leaked before.

Does any one have any ideas on what the cause might be? My best guess is it might be the roof vent or something wrong with the drain for the fridge.

Cheers

DSP

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi DSP.

Take the external grill off the back of the fridge. This is a 1 minute job and required no tools.

Make sure the draining tube is poking through the floor.

On our first trip in our 16.49-2 we discovered they failed to do this. The tube should simply poke through the floor and be siliconed in place.

Here's a photo of what you are looking for. The tube in this instance was just curled up inside the fridge cavity and did exactly as you described.

Cheers
Andrew

IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1989.JPG

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
I'm back...

The drain hose is most definitely connected and is through the floor. The water seems to be running down from the cables on the left. This photo is the cavity under the fridge. You can just see the wheel arch on the right.:(
photo.JPG

Cheers
DSP

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 266

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
too many possibilities ...
do a water test, get someone to spray water on the van, while you crawl around with a torch inside to see if you can find the leak

also test the water pump ... does it keep running? does it start every now and then

test with mains connected as well, those fittings have been known to leak

Reactions: DSP and Ren77

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
Gday all

Out on our first trip in our 21.64 OB We have noticed water leaking under our club lounge, it has been raining quite a bit. Chased it back and found it was coming from under the fridge. We have an RM4605 fridge.

I also note that there are dry water stains, so it obviously has leaked before.

Does any one have any ideas on what the cause might be? My best guess is it might be the roof vent or something wrong with the drain for the fridge.

Cheers

DSP
Gday@DSP we have the same fridge in our van and have had similar problems. I reckon it has something to do with the vent on the side of the van. If you get a big downpour as we did at burleigh heads last year the water seems to work it's way in around both the outside of the grille and also by deflecting back upwards, I hope that makes sense...I ended up running a bead of silicone around the outside of the vent but have not eradicated the problem completely.

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
Thanks Andrew. I have placed a towel in where it leaked and have turned the fridge off for now. Not going away again until easter.
I hope we will get a decent rain and I can rule out at least the fridge. I will recheck the vent for any signs of water staining inside.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Thanks Andrew. I have placed a towel in where it leaked and have turned the fridge off for now. Not going away again until easter.
I hope we will get a decent rain and I can rule out at least the fridge. I will recheck the vent for any signs of water staining inside.
the fridges don't make a lot of water, the only water will be internal thru the drain line from the fridge dripping water off the internal fins, which would only really occur after the fridge warms up and the condensation melts off or if the temp changed a lot from door opening all the time. if the drain was blocked you would see the tray in the back of the fridge holding water

one possibility is the drain line could be split, tip a bit of water in the tray in the fridge and see where it goes.

fridge vents aren't waterproof, but i wouldn't slas them in, you will destroy it getting it out again, add a weatherstrip seal around the inside edge (self adhesive foam) and maybe a couple of screws in it to hold it firm, never seen them leak enough to cause a problem, apart from squirting the hose on them while washing the van.

As i've never really seen a bad leak from around here i'd be looking somewhere else, like water coming in a window and running down the leads, a shower wall leaking, a unsealed port like the power inlet, a unsealed clearance light, a loose water fitting ..... etc etc .a water test is the only way to find it or at least eliminate possabilities

Reactions: Ren77

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
We are still looking for it. Over the last week it has been quite bad (rained most of the week). My gut feeling is the vent at the side for the fridge.
I have just emailed off all the photos to the dealer asking them to look into it.
I will update further once I know more.

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
Further update. It has been solved by Jayco dealer, a big thanks to them! It was confirmed that it was coming in from the rear vent of the fridge as @Andrewm02 had suggested. The fix was to apply a piece of aluminum about the vent to direct the water away and also fit a piece inside the vent which would then require a build up of 10mm of water before being able to get over it. I will post a few pictures a bit later. The service department also looked in another van with the same type of fridge and confirmed that it also had a similar issue, but the owner had not realised.

Reactions: relgate

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Further update. It has been solved by Jayco dealer, a big thanks to them! It was confirmed that it was coming in from the rear vent of the fridge as @Andrewm02 had suggested. The fix was to apply a piece of aluminum about the vent to direct the water away and also fit a piece inside the vent which would then require a build up of 10mm of water before being able to get over it. I will post a few pictures a bit later. The service department also looked in another van with the same type of fridge and confirmed that it also had a similar issue, but the owner had not realised.

Looking forward to seeing the pics, as I have the same van but it hasn't rained since we picked it up. Will be looking closely when it does.