16' Series Water leak

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Ok noticed ontop of van van rubber strip on my jayco expanda roof flapping in the wind.all jokes aside i noticed a 50 cent size section of my van roof pealing i would say a small amount of water got in.so now i have a nice piece of bare timber; does anyone know what paint is to used on ceiling to patch up but funny enough i have had roof up the past 2 weeks in down pour rain no more water has came in yes rubber strip not fixed yet.i am in process of selling my van i dont want to hide it; i will tell new owner what i did but the concern is water just doesnt come in then stop im really baffled with no explanationvan is late 2012 model

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Some pictures may help
20170305_143843.jpg

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
This has got me dumb foundered its been raining heavily not one drop inside this looks like a one time thing this photo number 3 the strip is loose could be this but i havent fixed it yet still no water

Attachments

• 20170305_143819.jpg
    20170305_143819.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 352
  • 20170305_144021.jpg
    20170305_144021.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 294

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A picture says it all, an educated guess would say the leak will happen when/if the water pools, so depends on the slope............The corner sections can be removed and I would remove all four of them, using a scapel or similar run the blade around the edge of the roof to cut the silastic, then with a rounded plastic or glass scrapper lift the silastic thats smeared on the roof, you shouldn't need to dig into the joins unless it just comes away but you do have to go right around the roof, then wipe the whole area down with turps/thinners then with metho, once dry run a bead of Sikaflex or similar marine stuff over the joins and replace the corners, give the bead a light spray with soapy water and run you finger over to smooth out, your roof should be sealed then.
At least thats what I did with mine to solve it.

If you have a TV aerial up there, I redid the seal around it as well.

Reactions: bigcol and Grover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
It doesn't take very much moisture at all to de-laminate that sort of cheap ply. It certainly doesn't need to be anywhere near visibly wet to separate it like that.

Its difficult to be sure, but it's possibly not come through from directly above, but come down along the edge and wicked in sideways. That would better explain that pattern of damage.

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
A picture says it all, an educated guess would say the leak will happen when/if the water pools, so depends on the slope............The corner sections can be removed and I would remove all four of them, using a scapel or similar run the blade around the edge of the roof to cut the silastic, then with a rounded plastic or glass scrapper lift the silastic thats smeared on the roof, you shouldn't need to dig into the joins unless it just comes away but you do have to go right around the roof, then wipe the whole area down with turps/thinners then with metho, once dry run a bead of Sikaflex or similar marine stuff over the joins and replace the corners, give the bead a light spray with soapy water and run you finger over to smooth out, your roof should be sealed then.
At least thats what I did with mine to solve it.

If you have a TV aerial up there, I redid the seal around it as well.

Ok thanks for the advice how would i fix the inside roof.im so fustrated you wouldnt expect this in a 3 year old van

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Ok thanks for the advice how would i fix the inside roof.im so fustrated you wouldnt expect this in a 3 year old van

Hi @Grover,
IMHO, it may be worth holding off on fixing the inside until you determine where the water is coming from and having that attended to first. Then you will be able to tell that the leak has actually been fixed. Otherwise, if you just fix the paintwork, it will probably come back again.

Unless, of course, you are absolutely sure it is not caused by a water leak and is just a manufacturing fault with the ceiling panel.

I don't know if you can get them in Australia, but, in the UK, moisture detectors are quite common for chasing moisture problems in dwelling walls.

kindest regards
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It could have wicked along the TV aerial cable either way as said fix the source first.

Reactions: bigcol

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Hi the combing is the problem had the same issue on a 12mth old dove.Did exactly what has been suggested with turps and metho and plenty of scraping.the Sealant came off easily. I used a bunnings silicon moulder with detergent and also taped the inner edge for a great Finish . used sikaflex rv sealant with a uv protection in it. wasn't cheap ..About 4hrs work ..no more leaks. I also had a problem with the door laminate ..gunnersons sell it but you have to find a stockist . Looks the same .Good luck

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

DazFamily

May 26, 2015
Caloundra
This has got me dumb foundered its been raining heavily not one drop inside this looks like a one time thing this photo number 3 the strip is loose could be this but i havent fixed it yet still no water

How did you go with this leak as I have just discovered the same issue?

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Ok ive finally got on my roof of my van don't laugh I am single mother and I'm learning all jokes aside well sealed all the four sides of roof seals where the flaps come over it wasn't the problem but I found out the aerial on my roof when I grabbed it it wobbled so I filled all around it with silicone water proof one I don't care if I never use aerial again lol but where the cable went through the roof it had a gap so I pulled the rubber cap up and filled it with silicone.never to come of lol.so all cracks are filled solid now to fix inside roof I did ring jayco customer service and told me the closer paint they use,but I cant remember any ideas would be helpful I did see someone mention adding tooth paste to the paint the reason is ?

Reactions: 1DayIll and Drover

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
I rang jayco today and gave me paint colour like 7 different colours for a 4 litre tin i onle need like 50ml .someone did mention a dulux colour that close does anyone know what it is