water leak

summer01

Jan 25, 2013
Hi we are currently away in our 14month old expanda. After a few months of it not being used we have discovered water has come from outside into the ceiling in a corner and paint is peeling :(
As if things cant get worse in the last 2 nights of rain water has leaked from outside and run inside down the wall behind L shaped lounge , we are thinking its getting in somewhere around the bottom of the vinyl poptop . It doesnt start leaking as soon as it rains... it starts awhile after and continues dripping for quite a while after rain has stopped. As if water has collected somewhere in wall and needs to find away out. One area now has water marks behind paint. Any thoughts would be appreciated . We are waiting to contact jayco when they reopen on thursday.

Attachments

• 20131227_150837.jpg
    20131227_150837.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 584
  • 20131229_194830.jpg
    20131229_194830.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 584
  • 20131230_085522.jpg
    20131230_085522.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 542

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
most common cause of roof leaks i've seen are winegard TV antennas, even if they are a couple of metres from damage, water leaks in thru them (mainly around cable entry point from water running down cable if not sealed properly and travels across ceiling to a low point depending on how the van is sitting and then leaches out. this water can pool in ceiling and take a while to start leaking after rain and continue after it stops. BUT i have seen water damage from the poptop windows left open with the roof down and water pools on the canvas in travel and leaks in, poptop roof seals ARE NOT watertight. in fact jayco head gurus informed me that they should have a gap at the back to let water out when closed! otherwise wind pressure when travelling will force water in. so don't tighten up your roof clips trying to stop water entering during travel all you do is stuff the rubber seals that aren't seals but just there to stop scratching the paint.
But if you think it's leaking from bottom of tent section it may be that the sealant is worn thru from rubbing on roof or a poor factory sealant job, jack the van up from level (50mm higher at front or back)and see if it still leaks, if not then set it level and see where the water lays, thats your leak spot. Insurance or warranty should cover repairs for water damage.

Reactions: The Wadamses

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi we are currently away in our 14month old expanda. After a few months of it not being used we have discovered water has come from outside into the ceiling in a corner and paint is peeling :(
As if things cant get worse in the last 2 nights of rain water has leaked from outside and run inside down the wall behind L shaped lounge , we are thinking its getting in somewhere around the bottom of the vinyl poptop . It doesnt start leaking as soon as it rains... it starts awhile after and continues dripping for quite a while after rain has stopped. As if water has collected somewhere in wall and needs to find away out. One area now has water marks behind paint. Any thoughts would be appreciated . We are waiting to contact jayco when they reopen on thursday.
Welcome @summer01, sorry to hear about your leak.....I know what that's like! I'd be very surprised if Jayco didn't warrant that only 8 weeks out. You need to take some pics and email with chassis number to Malcolm Austin at head office, he should help you. Good luck.
Cheers.

Last edited:

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Welcome @summer01, sorry to hear about your leak.....I know what that's like! I'd be very surprised if Jayco didn't warrant that only 8 weeks out. You need to take some pics and email with chassis number to Malcolm at head office, he should help you. Good luck.
Cheers.
I agree, Jayco is pretty good at honouring their warranty if only a short time out of it, especially water damage as sometimes it can take weeks to show after the leak has occured