Water leak after rain & wind in SA

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
P1000116.JPG P1000120.JPG Hi all. & especially Dave S with his know how.
Each time after prolonged wind & rain I've had water dripping from the "bottom LH screw," on the rear roof raising bracket. ( pop top type ) The outer roof skin sealant looks ok except they only silicon the corners where the vinyl is fastened into the aluminium roof frame. The rest of the roof is sealed the same way & does not leak. Its just one spot. Any ideas? Leaks can be so annoying, you don't know what damage is occurring long term. Thanks in advance. John Sorry about picture quality.

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
View attachment 20117 View attachment 20120 Hi all. & especially Dave S with his know how.
Each time after prolonged wind & rain I've had water dripping from the "bottom LH screw," on the rear roof raising bracket. ( pop top type ) The outer roof skin sealant looks ok except they only silicon the corners where the vinyl is fastened into the aluminium roof frame. The rest of the roof is sealed the same way & does not leak. Its just one spot. Any ideas? Leaks can be so annoying, you don't know what damage is occurring long term. Thanks in advance. John Sorry about picture quality.

DaveS ( Jayco Tech )

Attachments

• P1000123.JPG
    P1000123.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 162
  • P1000124.JPG
    P1000124.JPG
    767.1 KB · Views: 199

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
sorry only just saw the post .........

bit of a weird one .... i havn't seen a leak there ...... everywhere else, but not there :)

so is the water coming out of the screw hole or dripping from somewhere else?
is it stationary or traveling when this happens ?
if it's stationary i find it hard to believe as you have a overhang from the roof, so water would need to pool there to find a way in ..... not saying it won't, just unusual, maybe get the hose and pretend your rain (like we do ....) to replicate the issue, i have seen leaks on the sides from water pooling and then the slas bead on the side acts like a dam to raise the water level till it finds a small hole in the slas.
if it's when your travelling then ( i got a shock when i heard this) then your roof might be sealing too well. according to jayco they want to have a air gap at the back of the roof seal (planned or unplanned i don't know) so that any water that beats the seal has a escape path out the back. I can see their logic, but i betcha it wasn't planned that way, but it does make a difference. don't pull your roof down that tight that you deform the seal ( i hate changing them) just go for a snug won't rattle loose feel.

Things to try ...
tilt van off level forward and back a inch or so , does that fix it, then it's water laying
get someone inside with a torch shining over the tent .... see any pin holes from the outside, some are hard to find, check the corners as well
pull the screws out of the inside corners on the bottom of the tent squeeze in a bit of slas and put them back ( you will need a #2 bit driver and pulling the roof down a bit makes it a bit easier to get a straight bite with the bit driver

the bottom rail or the top of the solid part of the van if you want to call it that is like RHS channel with some fancy moulding to hold the tent section and somewhere to fasten it onto the bodywork ( a lip) for water to be coming out of a screw it has to fill the entire section of frame, so it has to get in somewhere, take the offending screw out and see if you get a flow of water.
look at the corners, they have to nick the tent to fit around the corner and then slas them up, should have a couple of countersunk screws on the inside to hold the tent in place on the corners if your slas job is not complete you may get water seeping in and traveling into the screw holes.

it's fixable in a bout 10 miutes with a tube of slas, big question is finding the source .... without seeing it my moneys on the tent bottom corners leaking into the frame from a hole in the slas thru a screw

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Thanks DaveS, What a great reply mate. The leak has only happened a couple of times, only stationary with wind blowing perhaps onto that part of tent for some hours. Only drips out of that one screw maybe half a litre per long rain/wind session. Some say silicon the screw but that doesn't fix the problem & water behind panels is never good. On mine the bottom corners of tent are siliconed for 4 or 5 inches around bend. Should I silicon the entire length from corner to corner ? You say tighten the inside corner screws holding bottom of tent. Interesting that one screw in the inside corner near leak was never tightened & has about 3 threads exposed. ( I thought it was usual Jayco feature, it'll do ) Apart from this I can't fault too many things & has been quite a good unit.
Thanks Dave
JVP