Washing machine....worth it?

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Hi everyone, I bet this has been covered before, but what is your thoughts on having a washing machine fitted? Whether it be for free camping or in parks, is it convenient to have one or just a waste of space and water use? I've been considering it for a while now for my 17ft, just not sure the $350 is worth it.

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
my wife said, dont bother - its too small. i had it fitted anyway. and it was the best we thing we ever did. there are 6 of us in total. 3 wash loads a day kept everything washed and ready for the next day. it takes much more to fill than we thought it would. we even wash all the bedding and towels the final few days, so that we dont have to do as much when we get home. free camping is a bit of a issue if you are running on tank water, as it uses 1 tank for 3 loads when set to normal fill level. but we normally camp near a river and use river water for washing and showering. i use a external 12 volt pump in a 25 ltr water container from the river, which runs into the van where the house would normally connect.

Reactions: skippy and Ren77

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
We take a portable twin tub away on extended bush camping holidays which we use where there is an abundance of water and use the inverter in the van , works a treat .

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
We don't have one but next van we deffiently try one as we found when we done a big trip with kids we spent quite a lot of money on washing and also in some cases had to hang around the amenities for it to finish washing. I would say go for it and let us know how you go with it.

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
I've been thinking about this lately, and concluded it's a great idea. Not only does it mean less washing when you get back, but that you don't have to pack as many clothes to go away.

What I haven't figured out is the safest storage for a machine when at a park if you don't have an annex, or yet what the best machine to get would be. A lot of people have Lamiar, Sphere or twin tub Companions.

Reactions: jmjones

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Thanks guys for all your input, sounds to me like it would be a useful item to add to the expanda seeing though I have the provision for one, just need to cut the bench top and plumb it in. Tempted to do the bench myself at my own leisure, thus saving $$$.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
We went and got a Companion 2KG single tub washing machine (@ Rays or BCF). Gives us the option to take it with us or not. Runs from the 12V to 240V inverter.

Takes about 12 minutes to do a wash. Secret is not to overload it. You can keep/empty the washing water in to another bucket and use it a few times and just use clean rinse water.

Free camped (with ready access to water) for 9 days - did a great job.

companion-2kg-single-tub-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Constable Clan

Oct 5, 2013
muswellbrook
We have a washing machine built in our van 18.56-6 and I would not be with out it 2 adults & 2 school aged kids. No more using the sometimes dirty park & expensive washing machine & what ever the person/s before you may have had & passed onto you "Toe jam or Crabs" & the expense of laundry hygiene rise, I had used in the past when using the park amenities :washing:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We have one, yet to use it. All I know is hopefully I will never get annoyed by my wife asking for all my gold coins for the washing machines etc in the park. I know we wont use it for everything but my wife is happy we have it.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
We bought a Sphere 3.0kg on our last trip. As there is six of us washing was building up. We were paying $5 per load at the van park. Wife did 1-2 loads per day depending on weather. When we bought the machine did two loads per day. Not going to take long to pay itself off!

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
We have the one that Jayco supplied and it's much easer than going to the expensive laundries.
Also not having to worry about coming back to collect your washing that is clean dumped on the ground because the next person wants to use that washing machine.
Oh and not having to worry about sand or red dirt left in the washing machine from everyone before you.

Can't beat your own washing machine that's for sure.

Reactions: mfexpanda