Wanting to Buy 18.57-6 or 20-63-1 Outback

Expandasarethebest

Mar 24, 2014
Hi Everyone, we are seriously looking at upgrading our 2010 16.49-1 Outback Expanda to either 18.57-6 or 20.63-1. We are after a 2011 Model or Newer. Must be in Excellent condition. Please let me know of any available. Thanks. We are in Victoria

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Howdy if i was you i go the 20 /63-1 we brought one only mth ago and never looked back love the sepperate shower and toilet , and the triple bunks . and the price between second hand and new if you find a 20 for sale would be no different

Reactions: Ren77

Expandasarethebest

Mar 24, 2014
Howdy if i was you i go the 20 /63-1 we brought one only mth ago and never looked back love the sepperate shower and toilet , and the triple bunks . and the price between second hand and new if you find a 20 for sale would be no different
Thanks for the advice - looking for second hand only because of the new suspension in 2014 models - don't like it!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
What about factory underslung new one and option up to get it close to a 2013 outback. Do any dealers have any, I would have thought there would be some around? There is a ripper 18.57.6 on road model in the for sale section. it looks mint, you could undersling it for $400.

Last edited:
Reactions: brotys

Chookster

Mar 4, 2014
Secret harbour
Hi I'm new to all this and it might be a dumb question but what is under slug ?? I've seen it mentioned a few times but have no idea what it is ( female here lol)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi I'm new to all this and it might be a dumb question but what is under slug ?? I've seen it mentioned a few times but have no idea what it is ( female here lol)

Its a poor man's outback :)!

So basically you get the standard touring version of the van and ask jayco to underslung the axle.

The simply change the axle under the van around so the van sits higher and then you have a touring model of a van that looks almost like an outback but not really the same.

Cost is usually around $400 and includes the raised height, step at the door, mudflaps and increased size in the frame (metal thingy) at the front of the van only to look like an outback.

So it really is a poor mans outback :) but does the job nicely if you just need height and not all the bells and whistles of an outback!

We had it done to ours and the extra height has been fantastic but saves some coin for other additions....

dakky68

Nov 19, 2013
Newcastle
I'll explain another way. The axle stays in one position - wheels on ground (funny, that lol). Usually the van goes on top and the suspension goes under. To undersling, you put both the van and suspension on top. Now the suspension is between the van and the axle, which effectively raises up the van. It doesn't make your suspension better, it just gives you a little more clearance between the van and the ground.

Reactions: Chookster

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Larger vans have drop axles, sometimes they keep the axle above the springs but rotate the axles 180 deg. For me, I just need a couple inches clearance extra, but I won't be going off road so it is a good solution. Don't get me wrong, I like Outbacks but the original poster does not like the new Outback so it may have been another option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chookster

Chookster

Mar 4, 2014
Secret harbour
Great thanks boys now I know We've bought the outback as we love to get off the black stuff, having had the camper trailer then the goldstream offroad I know we have limited ourselves to some degree with now buying the panda OB ,especially height ( full van not pop top) and length , is there anything else u can do to beef it up to make it go the extra bush mile, it's a 18.57-9 OB 2010 , hubby works away ALOT and I take off with the kidlets at least 1-2 wkends/mth we love going bush( gets them away from all the techno stuff) and I just want to make sure I have the confidence in the van like I do with the goldstream(probably being paranoid ) I understand u drive to the conditions and I don't plan on doing any rock climbing with it......... Not yet anyway So any help or suggestions would be much appreciated