Using the AC while under a cover

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have recently bought a cover for my 17 to stop the elements eating away at my investment.
I use the van as an office and immediately noted that the cover increases the temp in the van substantially.
As you can see from the pics, I have taken some time to cut a 'door' into the cover, line it and add velcro dots so I can get in and out of the van easily.

IMAG0146.jpg
IMAG0147.jpg
IMAG0148.jpg

Now to the point:
With the cover on it gets hot, but I'm unable to use the roof AC because it's got a cover over it (I tried to see what would happen and I got an error message after about 60 seconds)
My next plan is to cut a hole in the cover around the roof AC but this may allow rain water to get to the roof. It was the sun that concerned me the most so perhaps this is not such a bad thing? But then I'm wondering if it will get mouldy etc on the roof.
Does anyone have any bright ideas or has tackled this situation before? I have an old cover I can cut up to cover up the AC hole when not in use so looks like this might be the best outcome.
Please do not suggest I build a carport as this will cause further arguments between family members! :frusty:

Reactions: Ren77

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Have you thought about taking the cover off when you hide, oops, use it as an office? To remove a section of the roof and replace it when not in use would require as much effort, perhaps more, then removing and replacing half the cover when you use the van AND need the air cond.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yeh, I've only put the cover on once, but it was very time consuming. Perhaps you are on to something, perhaps I can slide it off to one side (not fully off) then slide it back on later. I'll see how that goes...

BTW, It's not hiding if you come out for dinner. Is it?

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Could you pole up a huge tarp over the van instead of a cover for the season you need the airconitioner?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Could you pole up a huge tarp over the van instead of a cover for the season you need the airconitioner?

Yes, a good idea, I guess I'm just trying to get away with something 'easy'. Plus, the van is sitting on the boundary with the nieghbour, and a tarp would be pretty annoying for them. It might be an option down the track. Thanks Andrea.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi there
A temporary solution has been reached!

I've got a boat hook to get it on and off with. The rope holds it half way on.
It's not great but OK until I get sick of moving the cover!

IMAG0149.jpg
IMAG0150.jpg

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Latest update on this one.
I've dropped the cover in at the canvas place to get a hole cut and lined with elastic for the AC.

I'll report back in due course...

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hi there
A temporary solution has been reached!

I've got a boat hook to get it on and off with. The rope holds it half way on.
It's not great but OK until I get sick of moving the cover!

Nice work - a boat hook is now on my shopping list :)

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
be careful running the AC with the cover on, even partly, as the condensate from the AC could get under the cover and cause mold, they tend to just overflow onto the roof and then run to a low spot. if it was me, i'd make a small drip tray and a hose to direct the water away

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
be careful running the AC with the cover on, even partly, as the condensate from the AC could get under the cover and cause mold, they tend to just overflow onto the roof and then run to a low spot. if it was me, i'd make a small drip tray and a hose to direct the water away

Really good idea thanks Dave. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm on it....