Upgrade - Advice Needed

Rnimm

Feb 9, 2015
Wagga Wagga
Hi

We are new to the forum, purchased a 2011 Expanda 16.49.3 late last year, which we love, however if I had found this forum before I bought the Expanda I probably would have opted for something different

After a few trips with the kids I am after some advice on an update to a van with everything enclosed (later in the year, haven't worked up the courage to tell my husband yet - who was happy sleeping in a tent haha)

2 adults & 2 children - aged 14 & 11
Toilet & shower
Prefer Island bed so we don't have to climb over each other to get out of bed
No problem with the length of the beds as we are both under 170cms

At the moment I have found the following which I am interested in

Jayco Discovery - 17-55-5SH - is the bed a double or Queen? (didn't really want to have the bunks in the lounge/dining area so they have to be folded up to sit down as a family)

Jayco Starcraft - 17.58-3SC - is the bed a double or Queen? (still have to climb over each other to get out but the bunks are away from the lounge/dining area)

Jayco Starcraft - 20.62.3 - ticks all the boxes except I am worried about the extra length for towing etc and the extra price (whoops have to start saving)

Also I found a starcraft which had the bunks to the side and a full ensuite but not sure on the number of this one?

We have a 2012 Colorado to tow with

Any advice on the above would be great

Thanks Robyn

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi @Rnimm and welcome to the forum
that looks like a good list. There are a few members on here that may be able to give you some feedback. I think @davemc and @achjimmy have some of those models. We have a 22 ft starcraft which has the bunks and a great Island bed, full en suite etc. The compromise of course is that it is big. I'm sure there will be some members on here with Good advice for you.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
17.58 double 1955x1320 so almost normal double is 1930x1370.
The bottom bunk is low just 50cm height so a 11 year old might find it hard getting in and out. Its the height of a triple bunk.. Top bunk has 90cm when pop top is up.
Those bunks are little smaller as well 1850x700 to normal 1930x910.
We brought instead of 17.55 as we like the kids up the other end.

20.62-3 travel length says 8m our 17.58 7.2m so not much more and you get a island bed.
The extra door be good for bikes if you get fold up bunks.
There are a few around secondhand in the bigger Starcarft.

With two kids it opens up options more then us :)
If your thinking outside of Jayco we really liked the new Crusader.
http://www.crusadercaravans.com.au/Aramis.html

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Welcome @Rnimm .
I have a Discovery 17.55.5SH. Got kids aged same as you with the 14 old being 180cm tall.

The bed is tight, narrower than a double by 50mm. You can exit out the end without having to climb over each other.

We love the layout. When lounge is up you have 6 adult spots to sit. All 4 of us can watch TV as it is mounted on the fridge wall. We have bed convertor which is great for movies, turns it into a chase for 3.
20140707_075255.jpg

Yes it can be a pain to have to pack up the bunks, but kids use sleeping bags which can slot straight into the cupboard beside bunk, and they are old enough to do it themselves.

There are a few companies that hire out this model, might be worth a try before you buy.

Although Starcraft 20.62-3 would be my dream van but too big to store.

Last edited:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We tow a 21.65-1 Silverline with a 2011 Colorado we have it that the table can go to a single bed otherwise they both sleep in the annexe aged 14 and almost 19. Bear in mind In a couple of years your kids may not want to go on holidays with you anymore so you don't want to have to do 2 -3 upgrades unnecessary. So choose wisely .

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
We were in a similar situation to yourself and looked at the same caravans that you have looked at. We wanted a caravan that suited up both now and into the future when the kids no longer came with us.. We settled on the 17.55-5sh. We didn't want to crawl over each other to get out of bed and didn't want to go larger than 17ft, so that ruled out the Starcraft. So we have a new Jayco Journey 17.55-5sh on order, which should be here in a few weeks. Like others have said, you can hire one to try it out. We just sold our Expanda 14.44-4ob. We found the bed in the Journey big enough and comfortable. We found the bunks easy to pack away. I'll post photos when it arrives.nlakon@yahoo.com.au
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: denise

Rnimm

Feb 9, 2015
Wagga Wagga
Thanks everyone for the information and advice
I will keep doing my research on the forum to see what else I can pick up
As we have a perfectly good can at the moment I am not in any rush, who knows what is around the corner
:)

Reactions: DRW

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi Robyn.
We upgraded from a 16.49-2 Expanda and now have a Starcraft 20.62-3 outback. Our kids are 14 and 11 as well. And they love it!
Have a look at my page here. You'll see we went for single beds to keep the floor space we were used to in the Expanda. The 20 foot gets in on just about every site and whilst bigger than the 16 foot Expanda is not too much of a handful on the road. Love it!