Suspension Tyre Pressures

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I know that some have worked out preferred tyre pressures by trial and error whilst others stick with the pressure listed on the compliance plate.

So far, I have 3 different pressures to consider.

Compliance plate 352 KPA - 51psi
Tyre sidewall 450KPA - 65psi
As supplied by Jayco dealer 400KPA - 58psi

I know that the Basestation is nearly at 3 tonne if fully loaded so not surprised about the high pressures but some consistency would be better. Will try its first trip at the dealer supplied pressures and take it from there although expect to end up nearer to 50psi.

Interested to hear others thoughts or experiences especially those with heavy vans.

Paul

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Usually run ours at 55psi after doing some testing and seemed the best. 50 and below seemed to make the sidewalls bulge ot and up towards the 60 mark could feel every little bump.

I'm guessing different vans (weights) would require different pressures??

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
We run 50 psi in our van on the black stuff , tyre sidewall pressure is the max for that tyre not forgetting that the pressure rises when the tyre gets warmer .
ll pressures will differ to whatever terrain you are travelling on - best to check in the morning when there cold

Reactions: cruza driver

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
My 21 is 3 tonnes and I run them at 40 psi cold.

I have a TPMS and they usually go up to 43-48 depending on the temperature when touring.

I also find that the front tyres run hotter than the rears, resulting in them being a couple of psi higher.

Reactions: dagree

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I run 44psi cold. 2765kg loaded. Temps and minimal pressure rise seem good at this pressure.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I run them at 50psi

as mine is a single axle, it feels better at that pressure

any less, and it feels like it wants to wobble
any more, and I can feel every stone on the road

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I would say your pressures are on the money @Holden_man , 4 psi increase is good, front tyres could actually drop maybe 2 psi to bring them up to a better running pressure.

With bogey axles you can get away with a non LT tyre but on single axles you really need the little bit extra that a LT tyre provides and a high load rating to boot. I upped my rims to a higher load rating than the originals as well as tyres to give plenty of lee way.

Reactions: Holden_man

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Usually at a servo but with my own gauge, check when cold so I know whats what at the servo, saves digging the compressor out.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
On our recent school holiday sojourn I was running on the blacktop 40PSI in the Prado with BFG A/T's and I didn't check the van. When we hit the dirt I was running 26PSI (F) 28PSI (R) for car and 28PSI for van (single axle). Back on the blacktop it was 40PSI all round but did notice the vans tyres bagging so obviously need some more.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nitrogen is the ants pants for racers but for everyday use it's a waste and gives no real advantage..............especially travelling around the place with a van, if I'm staying at a place for a few days and checking out the sites I drop the air on the Ute and add when I hook up again, same as @Holden_man for the dirt, so Nitrogen would be a bit stupid, waste of money and the fella at the roadhouse in Julia creek would look at me and laugh I suppose...............my old work used it in our trucks for awhile but it was a pain, ended up just on the long haul trailers while the rest of us used normal air, ever noticed any improvement in economy or tyre wear.

Mixing it with standard air is okay..........................if they want to air your tyres with nitrogen for free, thats cool if they want you to pay for it then it's a money spinner, snake fart ???????...lol,lol, I crack me up.....lol,lol.