TV Reception

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
Hello, has anyone retrofitted the new JACK antennas to the Wineguard wind up mechanism to try and improve the TV reception. We have had our 17.56.2 for 2 years now and have never been able to get good TV reception wherever we go....very frustrating.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Looks interesting...
although are you sure it's the antenna causing the issue?
I am assuming if you are looking at this antenna then you must have the standard jayco delivered antenna.
And if that is the case, then there are a lot of people on the forum that use the standard antenna with no problems at all.
So could it be cabling instead?
What areas have you experienced poor reception?

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I know I don't get any reception without the power for the antenna turned on.
So far I have got good reception when ever I have used it, but in saying that I would be most disappointed if it didn't get good reception in those places.

others have certainly found the antenna cable to have suspect terminations, maybe you should look into this

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
We do get good reception for some channels but not others. As an example, last week we stayed at Caloundra big 4, we could get all channels with varying degrees of success but could not get channel 9, if we then moved the antenna around we could pick up 9 but missed others. I have checked all connections and they all seem ok. The TV we use picks up all channels when we use it connected to our fixed home antenna. Booster button is always used.

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
Boo to any jayco antenna. We have the latest winegard on our 14 and its $&@" hopeless.
Bit the bullet and bought vast tv. Itechworld dish and a Satking settop box, never been unable to get less than 108 tv stations 40 so music stations in very remote areas. 98.9% Australian coverage. Never even winde up the winegard now. Satking has its own satalite finder built in. Easier than 123
GET ON NOW YOU WONT REGRET

Reactions: Xpandafan

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
Boo to any jayco antenna. We have the latest winegard on our 14 and its $&@" hopeless.
Bit the bullet and bought vast tv. Itechworld dish and a Satking settop box, never been unable to get less than 108 tv stations 40 so music stations in very remote areas. 98.9% Australian coverage. Never even winde up the winegard now. Satking has its own satalite finder built in. Easier than 123

I just went and had a look at their website and I think you may have convinced me about going down this path. Does not seem that dear either. Thanks heaps.

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
Hey fair dinkum I brought their 65cm dish package, but was told to get the satking set top box, because it has a recording function on it. Itechworld don't supply that box rather another version:
The sat king has a built in satalite finder, which will sound a beaping noise from your tv when tracking satalite and gets more rapid the closer you get. Easy to find the 156e sat which is the Optus one we recieve from here in aus.
another option the other box dosnt have is record to USB function. Great for the wife and her series shows she must watch. If we are out we just record and watch later.
you can also hook up an existing foxtel box if you have it and can tune it in to the dish as well.
So itechworld have a deal on at the moment. The cheapest i have seen it. 65 cm disdo with cables and sat finder only 199 down from 699. Then grab a satking box off eBay for 269. That's only $468 cheaper and 100% more efficient than any winguard antenna.

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
Hi Clayton,
Thanks for the info on Satellite dishes etc, I am very interested in this now and we will probably end up going down this path as I have had enough of stuffing around with the winegaurd. We are subscribers to foxtel so this also interests me in being able to use their box for when we go away.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We until recently had the Antenna Tek Aerial (same as the previous Wineguard) have never really had a problem getting reception, other than in places where we wouldn't expect to get it anyway. We did stay in a park on the South Coast (NSW) where we got the channels but was that bad it wasn't worth watching, thought we plug to the Park onsite outlet and that wasn't much better, stayed in another park about 10 km way the next time and reception was perfect, So it was all about location not our aerial.
Some times it's just all about location, another time when we had trouble (got nothing but fuzz) we even had the park manager asking if we were have problems as the TV's in the cabins had gone down. He had the local aerial guy there within the hour, turned out the area had been switch to digital. off to Jaycar we went for set top box as our TV was analogue, TV was soon upgraded as I was sick of setting up re-tuning the STB every time we moved.

Our van was fitted with a new roof recently and came fitted with the latest Wineguard "Snow Flake" aerial, tried it here at home yesterday all good didn't even rotate it or have to programme the TV (as it had been running in the house). We'll see how it goes.

We may invest in some sort of Sat system at some time as we travel more into the never never.

Clayton

Jun 16, 2013
Hey bushman, unless you can pretty much see or here the ocean the winegard stops working. Sick of the drama and challenge of spending hours tuning and chasing channel reception than after all the drama only manage to get pixelated reception. satellite vast every time. Never looking back now.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
A couple of months ago I upgraded to the snowflake antenna and sensar pro to make it easier to find stations. For some reason I had it in my head that a satellite setup would be too expensive so didnt really research it. Even with my setup its a PITA by the time you have everything tuned it.

For about $100 more I think I could have upgraded to a satellite system like Clayton and had a much better system with a nuch shorter setup time, and also be able to use my foxtel box.

Bummer, my bad, shudda done the research.

Peace
Mike

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
We until recently had the Antenna Tek Aerial (same as the previous Wineguard) have never really had a problem getting reception, other than in places where we wouldn't expect to get it anyway. We did stay in a park on the South Coast (NSW) where we got the channels but was that bad it wasn't worth watching, thought we plug to the Park onsite outlet and that wasn't much better, stayed in another park about 10 km way the next time and reception was perfect, So it was all about location not our aerial.
Some times it's just all about location, another time when we had trouble (got nothing but fuzz) we even had the park manager asking if we were have problems as the TV's in the cabins had gone down. He had the local aerial guy there within the hour, turned out the area had been switch to digital. off to Jaycar we went for set top box as our TV was analogue, TV was soon upgraded as I was sick of setting up re-tuning the STB every time we moved.

Our van was fitted with a new roof recently and came fitted with the latest Wineguard "Snow Flake" aerial, tried it here at home yesterday all good didn't even rotate it or have to programme the TV (as it had been running in the house). We'll see how it goes.

We may invest in some sort of Sat system at some time as we travel more into the never never.

same as Bushman here, we have the snow flake Wineguard with no issues. Have used it on the coast and through central Queensland, and just recently on our trip through central Australia. Wherever reception was available it worked perfectly. May also get a sat system if we do more of the remote stuff outside of normal reception, but at this stage the standard Wineguard works for us....

HM

Reactions: Ck56

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Currently in Wellington and the wine guard is useless. I remember Saturn used to have an upgrade for the wine guard but can't seem to fine it anymore. Not really fussed on TV except if a test or special footy match is on, otherwise it's DVDs the rest of the time. Sat system sounds great if TV is your thing but Iam $&@/ed if I want to carry anything more.

Dakemela 1

Sep 8, 2013
We picked up a satellite system at the camping show , paid a bit for it , came with a little hand held TV monitor to get the most out of the signal .Can run the foxtel of it and 12 v also ,Works great , we had enough of gining around with reception everywhere we go .The adds are a bit wierd ,some adds from Alice Springs

Aug 29, 2013
Warradale SA
We picked up a satellite system at the camping show , paid a bit for it , came with a little hand held TV monitor to get the most out of the signal .Can run the foxtel of it and 12 v also ,Works great , we had enough of gining around with reception everywhere we go .The adds are a bit wierd ,some adds from Alice Springs
Got to love the Imparja and seven central adds don't you?

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Go the VAST like Clayton said. It works a treat. Bought ours from SAT NAV Hervey Bay (another shop in Gin Gin Qld) got a electronic satellite finder with it too. Recently got Fox put on and got a twin LNB so I can have 2 decoder boxes going if needed.
image.jpg

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
They do work great. Just point that dish to the northern sky's and by using the electronic satellite finder makes it a lot easier. I always chain my dish to the draw bar. Always be mindful to keep your VAST registration up to date too. The travelers registration needs to be updated every 6 months.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Used to watch imparja a few years ago as we had vast living out on Cape Otway, it was great getting ad's from the Alice, Ceduna , Mount Isa ect. The advertising works though as when you end up traveling there, the places they plug the most are the places you notice when your looking around.
I prefer the vast stations as the ad's about sheep dip and tractors are less in you face than what you get on the city channels.