17' Series TV reception and roof lights

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
So just bought a tv for the panda. Already had a tv antenna from previous owner. Plugged in, tuned and all great

Then I turned my roof/ceiling lights on inside the van and lost all reception. Seems the middle and rear lights (not the one near the entry door) kill the reception.

Any ideas? Cheers.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think there is a screw, through the antenna cable and a power cable...............

just a guess, as I am in no way or shape an electrician.................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They are LED lights I assume ????? If the operating light on the TV and the aerial booster light are still on when it happens it is more than likely caused by cheap LED lights which are causing interference of the TV signal, it is a common problem .
Sounds like you are using an external antennae so it would be RF interference, change led's is probably the easy way. Price of lights doesn't mean anything either, my 10 for $10 from china leds are good, yet a 1 for $12 is crap.........
What sort of aerial and how is the cable run into the van ??

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Thanks. Aerial cabling all done by Jayco with the van from point on top of cabinet next to door to outside.

Not sure what you mean by 'aerial boosting light'?

Lights are all LED lights that came with the van I believe.

Got one of those simple PVC external antennas, the ones that join up and two arms fold up.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Sounds like power is being lost to the amplifier to me.

As @achjimmy has pointed out, if there is a voltage drop to the amp it could be enough to stop it working.

I'd be looking to find the power to the amplifier ad see if you can isolate it from the lighting circuit.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Normally it's integrated with the antenna socket that connects to the TV. There should be a power button/LED that comes on when it's turned on

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you just plug your TV lead into a small plug on the wall and plug your aerial into one similar on the outside and your aerial is on a pole then you won't have a booster fitted......it is usually on a wall plate which has a socket for your TV lead, a little black button and small led light with a 12v socket (as @Bellbirdweb has posted......................................if the former describes your set up then it is RF from the led's that is causing the problem and the easiest way is to change them...............

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you are at home which way are the bars on your home aerial pointing vertical or horizontal because the bars on your van aerial should go the same way otherwise the signal may not be strong enough and be blocked by the RF from your lights...................

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Okay. I just folded them to point 45deg above horizontal. Never used it before, was just checking it worked at home before we take off in the school holidays.

Will get some more LED inserts to replace and also play with the TV antenna as well.

Definitely no booster. Just a simple plug on wall.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A handy app to have is MySwitch, it is an app from the Fed Government which will show you where the nearest TV transmitter is and if the signal is horizontal or vertical, makes set up so much easier but sadly doesn't improve the quality of the programmes.
Experiment with the arm positions of your aerial, I think I know which one you have and folks rave about them........I would also check the cable connectors as they can often be the cause of problems as they loosen or wires break........

Reactions: bigcol