Exterior Tunnel Boot Hinges

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
So today in preparation for going away tomorrow for the long weekend I thought I would replace the broken hinges on the front tunnel boot that broke about 18 months ago. I have had the replacement hinges for at least 16 months. I had replaced the whole frame and hinges on the other side about 3 years ago before I knew you could get hinges only.
So as I couldn’t remove this frame to replace both parts of the hinge I thought I would separate the two pieces by drilling out the plug that holds the pin in then punching it out. After absolutely destroying the first replacement hinge with it breaking into 5 pieces I started on the second hinge again drilling the plug that retained the pin then trying to punch out the pin. Couldn’t do it without breaking this one as well. Decided to cut the pin between the two halves to separate. Managed this then reverse punched out the plug thinking I would improvise a new pin. Upon closer inspection I found much to my frustration that the plugs that retain the pin are actually Allen head grub screws. Luckily I purchased 5 hinges when I only needed 2. Replacement hinge 3 and 4 were separated with an Allen key and all fitted up in 10 minutes. Spent at least an hour drilling and punching the first 2.
A lesson here is to also wear your glasses as I would have seen the grub screws earlier. To me they originally looked like a roll pin split pin.
Sorry no photos as I was getting too frustrated.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
So today in preparation for going away tomorrow for the long weekend I thought I would replace the broken hinges on the front tunnel boot that broke about 18 months ago. I have had the replacement hinges for at least 16 months. I had replaced the whole frame and hinges on the other side about 3 years ago before I knew you could get hinges only.
So as I couldn’t remove this frame to replace both parts of the hinge I thought I would separate the two pieces by drilling out the plug that holds the pin in then punching it out. After absolutely destroying the first replacement hinge with it breaking into 5 pieces I started on the second hinge again drilling the plug that retained the pin then trying to punch out the pin. Couldn’t do it without breaking this one as well. Decided to cut the pin between the two halves to separate. Managed this then reverse punched out the plug thinking I would improvise a new pin. Upon closer inspection I found much to my frustration that the plugs that retain the pin are actually Allen head grub screws. Luckily I purchased 5 hinges when I only needed 2. Replacement hinge 3 and 4 were separated with an Allen key and all fitted up in 10 minutes. Spent at least an hour drilling and punching the first 2.
A lesson here is to also wear your glasses as I would have seen the grub screws earlier. To me they originally looked like a roll pin split pin.
Sorry no photos as I was getting too frustrated.
Just replaced the door hinges on my Penguin as they were a bit worn causing door to sag a little, and not allowing the door to line up with the door latch/lock. Ordering 3 hinges at $10.00 each plus $10.00 postage to deliver the next day was the easy part. Also easy enough to remove the three screws holding the hinge plate into the recesses in door. However to remove the other part of hinges from internal door frame was a different matter!! I had to remove the hinge side of door frame and sealant to get at the small recessed screws at the back (other side) of hinges inside the door frame. Easy when you know how and all was soon back in place with new gaskets and hinges replaced.
Noted that while the internal screws (which are recessed) only attach to the plastic door frame inside, the external screws for the hinges for the door actually do not support the door at all. The weight of the door is taken by the hole and recess in the door frame itself and the external screws just hold the hinge protrusion into the door to keep it in place.. The weakest points are the internal screw points into door frame around door opening. For the external hinge fittings to fail would mean a chunk of the door would have to be broken out entirely. Hinge and door fitting quite strong, but door hinge to door opening frame and would be pulled through internal door frame if overloaded.. eg used as a railing or something to heave yourself up on when entering/alighting as door handle is on other side. Definitely NOT designed for that purpose!!!