Mite as well delete this thread its gone very stale

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
So far we have :
Coral bay this April school holidays
June 30 we are doing our drive across the top , which is ending up being a 14 week jaunt around the country. (Figured we had better come back)
And we have booked for coral bay for next year.
Hoping to try out fontys pool too at some stage, and take the puppy for her first trip.

I have tried to get in to Broome for July for a night or 2 before we tackle the gibb, but no go. So, it looks like we will by pass. Bummer, as cable beach park was lovely. We enjoyed it a lot.
I would go to Broome anyway, not far out of the way and there generally is cancelations anyway. Ring when you get closer.

Reactions: dagree and Smirke

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The Oodnadatta trk was no dramas for us towing the van, just make sure you slow down to enjoy everything it offers. There is so much history along there.

The usual rock protection and second spare is requiered though for extra insurance.

@cruza driver did you take a second spare for both van and the bt?

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I would go to Broome anyway, not far out of the way and there generally is cancelations anyway. Ring when you get closer.
Been twice already, so no biggy if we don't get there. Problem was that hubby was going to fly up and meet me n the boys up there as I finish work a day and a half before he does. Will call and see how we go. Just means we start the gibb earlier.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
image.jpg
Renmark (with jet ski) next weekend for the Adelaide Cup long weekend, then to Sydney in April to see The Proclaimers sing at the opera house. On the return leg, stopping off near Lake Eildon partly to do a reckie on Mt Buller. Final night at Halls Gap on Anzac weekend before home.
Hopefully manage a first winter trip around July / August time to spend a week skiing at Mt Buller, Mt Hatham, or Thredbo - exact location will depend on snow conditions and also what we see when we visit Mt Buller in April.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Not a bad trip proclaimers bugger me there still around where are you staying at halls gap i can recomend lake side very good been there 4 times
Don't think The Proclaimers ever went away, but neither have they had much chart success since the 80's. Haven't bought any of their albums but did see them about 20 years ago at a music festival and they were fantastic. Also watched Sunshine on Leith - musical set around their music which highly recommend. A good excuse to visit Sydney and to go to the Opera House (sorry, but couldn't see me going to listen to opera!)
We will no doubt stay at Halls Gap caravan park - lost count how many times have stayed there and like its central location and permission to have fires. Often cycle along to the dam and around Lakeside - looks good, and appreciate the recommendation but will probably stick with the central location.

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@cruza driver did you take a second spare for both van and the bt?
Hey @achjimmy I took a full rim and tyre for the BT and just a spare tyre (no rim) for the Expanda.

Not only to keep weight down but if worse came to worse I could leave the van and continue on with the BT for repairs. In saying this I have never experienced a puncture on any of our adventures. As you know mate I run L/T tyres on the Expanda :) and also the BT :thumb:

Last edited:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey @achjimmy I took a full rim and tyre for the BT and just a spare tyre (no rim) for the Expanda.

Not only to keep weight down but if worse came to worse I could leave the van and continue on with the BT for repairs. In saying this I have never experience a puncture on any of our adventures. As you know mate I run L/T tyres on the Expanda :) and also the BT :thumb:

Now to start planning another trip for this year :car:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
ok, I'll play too

Portarlington area Easter.

this in July school hols
july.jpg

Great Ocean Road / warnambool Sept school hols

And Jan 2017 school hols
nz1.jpg

nz2.jpg

And to save the obvious question.....no the caravan will be left behind all alone. Thus I can save a bit of $$ by not having to fit a really big snorkle and diff breathers:plane: and put it to the new 20' instead

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It's the floatation factor which would worry me.

Are you hiring a camper van?

Looks good.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
for the 5 of us, its much cheaper getting a prado and family hotel rooms. Plus we're looking at taking the train from the ferry down to christchurch from the ferry instead of driving

Reactions: bigcol

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Righto cats out of the bag got confirmation of my booking for Easter 2017 and the winner is

Eldee Station yes out back from Silverton its a 4x4 tv easter event with Simon Christy a 4 day event with courses set by them

tag along tours to watch sunset over mundi mundi planes< where they filmed a lot of mad max 2 > and tracks on the station yes I will be on tv probably as you have to sign papers to allow this the cruiser will be on for sure as there so good LOL 40 bucks a night for the van on a powered site going for 6 nights I know you have to pay $50 for a map to get access to tracks to help with the upkeep of the place I don't mind not sure on how much it is to do the 4x4 tv event but its something you don't do every day going to such a far away place camp and chat with other 4x4 people I will learn a lot they put stuff on for the kids and of a night for us to sooooooooo looking forward to it very pleased im in its 894ks from here Mildura , Broken hill then Silverton then north to Eldee Station

Sounds like a great plan I think I've seen the Easter event on 4x4 tv

Reactions: Bluey and bigcol

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Someone has told me they allow fires in winter?.
Not too worried about the cold,we can handle that.That gale force "Breeze' you get up there can be a pain.
We will have our longhaired dog with us who is obsessed with water .Playing in muddy puddles and the rain is her favourite pastime.
Wet soggy dog in van does not make me a happy camper.;)

ChrisU

May 18, 2015
Wandin North, Vic
ok, you confused me with

4 x B
4 x C
4 x E

etc......................

several routes in the one trip...................??
bigcol, ignore the multiples, just the one route, it was the only way I could figure out how to get the desired waypoints on the one map in Google maps!