16' Series tree damage

dannyh10

Mar 28, 2022
Canberra
hi, i have a 2010 16.49 expanda and we love it. however over Easter a large gum tree fell on it and caused extensive damage. i will be up for a completely new pop top roof and internal brackets and also an awning and the door! the remainder of the damage is cosmetic so I'm not too worried about that. it will be going through insurance however Jayco Canberra cant even assess it until august. I'm just trying to get a feel for whether it is likely to be repaired or written off so I'm just wondering whether anyone out there has had any experience from a cost point of view on getting a full roof replacement etc.?

thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: 1DayIll

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It really depends on what the insurance mob is willing to pay out, see if any other repair place can give you a quote, you don't have to go with them but at least find out if the insurance mob would be interested in fixing it........... Bit rugged they won't quote on it till August though.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
For the insurance it is the least of the following:

The cost of the repair

The amount to payout (either fixed or replacement depending on policy) minus the value of the caravan as is

The recent hail damage in SA, saw $60,000 cars that where 12 months old being written off because the value (with the dents) is still very high.

With the weather events occurring (hail, floods, etc) insurance assessments are taking a long time.

Hope you can get it resolved soon

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
assessing damage for insurance purposes would be a way lot quicker if insurance companies were forced to pay for an alternative immediately after a claim was lodged.

Currently, insurance companies have no requirement to provide a replacement van or compensation for loss of use from the time of the accident until when the van has been repaired or the claim is paid.

At the very least, there should be a requirement to have a claim assessed within a stipulated time frame. If not, then a penalty amount per day should be paid until the claim is assessed. Similarly with respect to having repairs undertaken

Further, in the case of the van being under warranty. The insurance company should also be forced to pay the costs of extending the warranty of the van to take account of the time the van was not able to be used. Further, insurance premiums should be put on hold during the time a claim was lodged until the van is retirned or a claim paid out.

Insurance companies have a vested interest in withholding any form of payment as long as possible. Unacceptably long times to get an assessment is yet another way they have found to drag out the payments for as long as possible.

Note that different insurance companies will have different times to assess and pay out or effect repairs.
Naming and shaming is certainly one way to stamp out this corrupt process.
Contact a current affairs program and see if they are interested in doing a story and exposing the practice.

Well, dream on, I suppose. But that is what would happen if I was president of this country.

take care
Mike

Reactions: 1DayIll

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Sounds like Jayco is more of an issue than your insurance company , just did a google search on caravan repairers Canberra , shows there are plenty of other options, I would contact your insurance company for a list of approved repairers, I know of claims that were done in other regions and the insurance company paid for the truck to take it there , if Jayco can’t help .’ , spend your money elsewhere, show them the loyalty they are showing you, and don’t forget to tell the world of their poor support

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When the Tardis was taken out by a truck the recommended repairer was leading me on with excuses, gave him a week so I went elsewhere, got the quote, insurance was happy and I was happy when I got it back........... your van is a 2010 so no need to see a Jayco shop, they would probably quote more and cause the insurer to jag in anyway... If a place can't can't look at it for weeks then they aren't interested so give them a miss. doesn't matter if a car, van or boat find someone who shows some interest....

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Many J agents. / dealers are booked out months ahead with warranty claims etc.any good van repairer
would be able to,repair most vans ,however with current short supply of materials etc you may have an uphill battle.
Your big problem is the replacement of the pop top.The extrusions etc are Jayco only .To be perfectly honest
see what the pay out will be and how long to repair it then go from there.

Reactions: Drover

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Many J agents. / dealers are booked out months ahead with warranty claims etc.any good van repairer
would be able to,repair most vans ,however with current short supply of materials etc you may have an uphill battle.
Your big problem is the replacement of the pop top.The extrusions etc are Jayco only .To be perfectly honest
see what the pay out will be and how long to repair it then go from there.
my local jayco dealership, have told me they will no longer service or repair any van over 10 years of age, backlog of warranty work was mentioned , mine was a cash job to replace an awning ,their service department said that if i insisted they would book it in in about 5 months time to check to see IF they wanted to do the fit of a new awning, i went elsewhere ,smaller repairer who gave me excellent service and price

Last edited: