Toyota Dual Cab HiLux Workmate

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Found a 2011 HiLux Dual Cab workmate, 4x4, 3lt diesel auto with a tray back which looks good are they any good as a tug ??? I know they only have a 2.5 tow cap but thats not a worry for my 14.44.3.

4 speed auto is it any good ???

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
We have a Prado but same motors, Just make sure the injector feedback values are still within spec, need to be less than 3. Need to do a cold test and then hot test, if they are too high, then up for new injectors ($1100-$1800) plus labour depending where you get them from. So good point to get price dropped.

Depending on the k's will usually tell if they are going to be on the way out. Must get them done or very expensive engine rebuild or replace if it goes bang from overfeeding fuel.

Don't stress, they are a great motor, same as Prado, as long as you look after them like ALL new diesels these day they are fine. My original injectors were still in spec at 182,000k's but changed them out just in case. Other than that no issues at all.

Wasn't aware the workmate came in 4x4 dual cabs ????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most interesting, they are just as expensive as the Jeep engines but good pointers. Saw this online so thought I might check it out as I pass thru Bundy later this week...............http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=AGC-AD-17683626&Cr=70

Have found a few interesting vehicles to tyre kick as I head for home, only thing with the above is it might be too basic for us now we have been spoilt by the Jeeperific.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thought about it and tempted @17triton but I want a bigger engine and I hate the shape of the back....sorry.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mind you if they give me a good offer on the Jeeperific I'll have one, I can handle the icky bendy arse end on the cab, haven't had a brand new wagon since early 80's and the Triton does have all the goods just a small engine which tend to work harder and I have a vehicle for yonks.
Yours pulls well and does a good a job I gather @17triton ???...................might have to revisit a Mitsi.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Interesting but useless but of trivia regarding that "Bendy Arse"
In Europe to qualify for commercial vehicle status (and whatever tax benefits that provides) the tub need to be over a certain length, but only measured as floor length.
The Triton's bendy bum means it can get a longer tub floor length without th car or tub actually being longer......

Reactions: Drover

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Mind you if they give me a good offer on the Jeeperific I'll have one, I can handle the icky bendy arse end on the cab, haven't had a brand new wagon since early 80's and the Triton does have all the goods just a small engine which tend to work harder and I have a vehicle for yonks.
Yours pulls well and does a good a job I gather @17triton ???...................might have to revisit a Mitsi.
Yes mate it tows well it pulls our 17 no dramas. It has clocked up 60k and only issue was the 3rd gear sychro which was replaced and they got oil on the clutch so I scored a free clutch at 53k. I was in a similiar spot to you when I was offered a great secondhand Prado with a few goodies from a friend of ours for 40k, it was 4 or 5 years old and 90k on the clock so out of warranty, I thought I can buy this and if the motor blows up there goes 10-15k or look at a new smaller tow car. We got the 10 year 160k drivetrain warranty on ours but they have cut that back in 2013 to 5 yrs so we went that way for piece of mind. I will be keeping mine for long time yet.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Might take one for a test drive while in Bundy.............mmmmm new truck, does sound nice especially at that price.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The tritons have a short wheel base, the bendy bum puts the rear wheels closer to the front wheels which gives them a "slight" edge with clearance off road

Reactions: Drover

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Might take one for a test drive while in Bundy.............mmmmm new truck, does sound nice especially at that price.
With the new model out you might be able to screw them down a bit more or get a better model? I went the glxr for the few extras like super select gear box ,better audio ,climate control etc. The glx is like the workmate with vinyl floors and more no frills but kitted up with a bit of ARB or TJM gear or the like and you have a vey capable rig. Standard suspension is ordinary like most new Utes. I am upgrading mine when funds permit with a lift as well.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
With the new model out you might be able to screw them down a bit more or get a better model? I went the glxr for the few extras like super select gear box ,better audio ,climate control etc. The glx is like the workmate with vinyl floors and more no frills but kitted up with a bit of ARB or TJM gear or the like and you have a vey capable rig. Standard suspension is ordinary like most new Utes. I am upgrading mine when funds permit with a lift as well.
Hi @17triton I also bought a new triton (mn) for $28 drive away manual. Very happy with it. I haven't tow the van with it yet but I'm looking at replacing the std rear shocks as I have heard there not much chop when towing the van. What are you looking at replacing your shocks with @17 triton?

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hi @17triton I also bought a new triton (mn) for $28 drive away manual. Very happy with it. I haven't tow the van with it yet but I'm looking at replacing the std rear shocks as I have heard there not much chop when towing the van. What are you looking at replacing your shocks with @17 triton?
I think I will go with Ultimate Suspension they tailor the suspension for each vehicle. They are not cheap at about $1800 delivered for the kit but a lot of blokes on the newtriton forum swear by them and they stand behind their product. If you go with Ultimate join up on newtriton and order through there as they pre assemble the front struts free. Still need to get it fitted and an alignment done after.
Cheers.

Reactions: bigcol