16' Series Towing without extension mirrors

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi All,
I've been discussing with a friend who tows his Flamingo OB with a Pathfinder but doesn't use extension mirrors. His thoughts are the extension mirrors are pretty useless anyway, and uses a high-mount rear camera on the van for seeing what's going on behind.
Just wondering if anyone out there has similar thoughts / experience on towing a 16 footer OB behind a Prado 150.
I expect I'll be putting a camera on the back at some point anyway.
Cheers,
S&P

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I seem to remember a thread on this. I believe there is a legal requirement that says you must be able to see down the side of the van, or something along those lines.

For me I don't know why you would not use mirrors. They give real perspective view in the same way you car mirrors do. Something a reverse camera does not. Also very handy for reversing and seeing where the side of the van is.

Last edited:

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
If a cop sees you without mirrors your getting pulled over and what if the camera plays up? Better to have both.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yes a legal requirment in most states, thought you don't here of to many people being booked without them, you must be able to see clearly down the side to the rear corners of your trailer this includes boats horse floats, any trailer that is over the width of the tow vehicles mirrors, I know I can't see more than about a quater way down the side of my 16 without my mirrors, I'd rather see that B-Double/Road Train/anything before it's on my rear quater.

I towed my Swan with an earlier Pathie and it was the same, Camera's should only be used as an additional aid to mirrors, after all mirrors don't show what is directly behind you,
I've had a few near misses from people towing vans without mirrors so it's a bit of a personal bitch of mine, people who tow without mirrors are a danger to themselves and other road users.

Dont mean to offened anyone here, so I guess at the end of the day it's a personal choice at your own risk of being booked

Last edited:

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
I had a policeman tell me once that I need to be able to see down the sides of my van to the rear corners. Besides, if you only have a camera and you blow a fuse your in a bit of trouble!!
I use mirrors, they might vibrate a little, but at least you can see if "something" is alongside you.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Spoke to the RTA here in NSW and the guy in the technical section reckons you need a mirror if your car mirrors can't see traffic to the side AND behind the van.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mike

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Spoke to the RTA here in NSW and the guy in the technical section reckons you need a mirror if your car mirrors can't see traffic to the side AND behind the van.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mike
Thanks all, I do like to see as much as I can around me even without a van/trailer behind so I'll be putting some extension mirrors on for sure.
Cheers, S&P

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky