17' Series Towing with a hilux

adamp

Oct 17, 2015
geelong
Hi all im new here i brought a jayco expanda 17.56-1 OB today yay!! I will be towing this with toyota hilux 2012 sr5 4x4 im wondering if this will be ok ? has a 2.5t towing capacity jayco are telling me it will be ok, as atm is 2190?

any feed back would be great cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Mate i had a 2008 hilux 4x4 dual cab SR and towed my 17.56.2. ATM around 2300
Hilux towed fine in terms of stability etc and fine in suburban streets but was a little ordinary up hills on the freeway. 80km/hr was max speed up most inclines even small ones.
However, its fine for what it is

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'd check Toyota fine print carefully and be very familiar with all the payloads etc.

We had a Navara with towing capacity of 3 ton and bought a 16.49.3. Spent hours checking allowable weights, talking with salespeople, reading stuff and came to conclusion all was well within safety margin.

It was within margin but it struggled far too much for my liking so ended up upgrading to Patrol.....expensive but acceptable for peace of mind.

Just be aware that finished van can come in with higher weights than on brochure....depends on inclusions.....and that the stuff you normally carry in Toyota plus racks plus bull bar plus anything else added to the vehicle affects the payload.

Not saying it won't do it but be careful.

Good luck with new van.

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
What year is your Hilux? Is it an Auto or manual? My Dad had a Hilux at one stage and I borrowed his Hilux and caravan and took the family from Melbourne to Canberra and back. If you are not familiar with that stretch of road, there are some decent hills. The Hilux he had was a 4 speed auto (2010 I think) and the van would have weighed close to 2500kg. It did the job but I would say that comparing it to my Isuzu MUX, the MUX seems to do it a bit easier. I put it down to the MUX having a 5 speed auto. Having that extra gear means the vehicle does not have to work quite as hard up the hills. My mate has recently bought a brand new Hilux manual. He has put in a chip and a larger exhaust (resulting in needing a heavier duty clutch) giving it more grunt, he has a van that would weigh around 2300kg and he is extremely happy with how it tows.

I would say that yes it would do the job but there are others that could do it and not work the engine as hard. If you find you are not happy it would be cheaper to add a chip.

Enjoy the new van!

adamp

Oct 17, 2015
geelong
Hi thanks everyone for the replys!

My hilux is 2012 sr5 auto cant really afford to upgrade vehicle at this stage, like the sound of adding a chip and exhaust thanks for that now my research continues on which one to get.