Towing coverage

Oct 21, 2012
Hi all just wondering who has some sort of cover eg NRMA for when travelling around OZ
Incase you brake down in remote areas as been told it be expensive for big tows in outback. I'm in NRMA cause they use to tow back to a repairer in remote areas but now they only do 100km then you have to pay thanks in advance.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have premium cover road assist with nrma in nsw.

Broke down last year 600km's from home, they towed both the van + car + passengers to our final destination which was 150+ clicks away from where we where.

They then towed the car a repairer of our choice, gave us a hire car and made sure we where happy.

Worth every penny after that episode!

DSC00549_renamed_1973.jpg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
NRMA, premium cover for us which I'm just about to re-new, however I did notice on the renewal that vans are only covered upto 2 ton, mine is 2079 atm on compliance,and there's and extra premium fo bigger vans, so I'll be checknig that out.

Oct 21, 2012
Hi expanda yeah I have premium with NRMA to but when I paid renewal and
The sent out new paper work I read on back they only cover 50 kms metro areas
And 100 kms remote now where the used to unlimited in remote areas. Is yours premium or premium plus? Thanks mate

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Just thought I would add, although you only get 100km's of towing they will in the case of a major breakdown allow access to 3k worth of benefits.

These benefits cover getting the vehicle + passengers home pretty much no matter where you are if the car is a complete bust like a blown motor or similar.

100km's is a fair whack to a repair center and if you are a little over they can either be hard up about it or just let it go.

I think it depends also how far you are from home as it may be cheaper for them to tow you an extra 20 clicks rather than have to freight / tow your car 600km's back if that makes sense.

This is covered on page 4, section 7 of this article.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/images/Members-PDF/membership-tcs-01-May-2013.pdf

Our tow was more than 100km's but they didn't seem to care to be honest and I think it was mainly because we had a tow vehicle that was a dual cab so it could carry all four of us in it and it could also take the car and van at the same time so it was cheaper for them in the long run.