20' Series Tool Box options for 2018 Expanda caravan

Tone@Dale

Jan 3, 2021
Steels Creek, Vic
Hi JBee,
The Drawbar box looks great, I like the design being able to keep the box locked while the Barbie is out.
If you don’t mind me asking a few questions, is there an opening on the right side same as the left?
No fridge slide but a hinged door, also a price that MW made the box up for?
Cheers
Tony

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
This is ours. Really happy with it. Generator at one end, Honda 2 Kva and webber 200 at the other, both on slide outs
2252AFB0-60A6-4C36-95AA-DB959CFEECE7.jpeg
239AFAB9-FADE-40EA-894B-AEBFC939A3FD.jpeg
726D5B32-B2A2-4046-92C6-3D3DDB7BE2ED.jpeg
8CF90FA1-8D6D-470B-A745-C7F54139CAEB.jpeg

Tone@Dale

Jan 3, 2021
Steels Creek, Vic
Nice!
It’s good to see what others have done with the boxes.
Decided to go with MW Toolbox in Bayswater, I’ll post photos once it’s built.
They were very helpful with a design that suited us so we’ll see how it turns out.
Approx 4 weeks for the build
Cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What sort of weight do these things add to the ball must be a fair whack as it can't be distributed to wheels or do folk add another box on the back as counter weight ????
Be easy to add 100kgs without even trying.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
What sort of weight do these things add to the ball must be a fair whack as it can't be distributed to wheels or do folk add another box on the back as counter weight ????
Be easy to add 100kgs without even trying.
A counterweight of the back of the van to compensate for an overloaded drawbar can be more a recipe for disaster as doing nothing.

With our van, we deleted the slide-out lounge from the build. The slide-out was in front of the wheels and weighed somewhere around 150kg. Apply that info to a van designed to have that 150kg slide-out, and when removed the geniuses at Jayco don't do another single modification to compensate for that. That left us with a ridiculous (and imho dangerous) factory tbm of 140kg on a 3.2t van. Jayco if nothing are predictably incompetent with this kind of stuff, so we took the punt on that fact and roll on. Add an extended drawbar, add the dangerously insufficient tbm and then our planned large took box full of permanent goodies .... and bing bang boom fully stocked box and a tbm of 280kg, thanks Jayco for your wise counsel.

The box itself is 2.5mm so isn't too heavy, maybe 20-25kg. But the box in our case is huge and can hold a lot of stuff. Our box isnt quite full either, and with van loaded for travelling our tbm has blown out from the plated 140kg tbm by 140kg to 280kg which is our case is a great outcome. But would be a $hit outcome if you were adding from a proper tbm to start with.

Be like eating donuts don’t notice till you try your suit on
Birthday suit ??? One size fits all, eat as many damn donuts as you like. I have photos of mine, and you'll like the cut o_O

Reactions: Drover