Toilet top tank or not

Mick&Vanessa

Feb 20, 2014
Sydney
Hi All,

Looking for some clarification.
We are waiting on delivery of a 17.56-2 (2014). We have been given differing information, some have said that the toilets in the new Expandas 'do not' have a (toilet) top tank anymore and others have said that they still do. Can somebody please confirm if the current Expandas have a top tank or draw the water from the water tanks?

Many thanks
Michael

Mick&Vanessa

Feb 20, 2014
Sydney
Thanks, feeling some relief as I have already purchased 5 litres of pink top tank chemical and thought I might have to exchange it.
Cheers
Michael

Mick&Vanessa

Feb 20, 2014
Sydney
I could claim it but no, no pun. Just happy if I don't have to worry about taking the pink chemical back.
Cheers
Michael

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have found that the thetford pink Which I used from day 1 has left algae/black sludge in the pipes. I plan to move across to the 'thetford pink PLUS' when I run out. It is designed (I am told) to avoid this problem. Apparently need to rinse the tank twice with bleach beforehand. Be very careful though and follow manufacturers instructions.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I was told that if using Napisan to use Coles or Woolworths home brand Napisan and not the brand name. Apparently the % os Sodium Percarnate (I think it's called) is different and works better with the home brands... and cheaper ;)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Haven't tried it personally as yet but was recommended 1 heaped capful and mix with 1 litre of warm water to dissolve it and pour into cassette. Some people put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the flush tank to help with odour :o as the napisan isn't as good at eliminating them as some chemicals.

Hopefully someone with some experience with napisan can confirm/deny? (Interested in trying it as it's cheaper than toilet chemicals)

Reactions: Mick&Vanessa

dakky68

Nov 19, 2013
Newcastle
Haven't tried it personally as yet but was recommended 1 heaped capful and mix with 1 litre of warm water to dissolve it and pour into cassette. Some people put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the flush tank to help with odour :o as the napisan isn't as good at eliminating them as some chemicals.

Hopefully someone with some experience with napisan can confirm/deny? (Interested in trying it as it's cheaper than toilet chemicals)

We've used this method for two trips now. Just dissolved a lidful in a couple of cups of water and put it in the bottom tank, then add another one in when the tank is about half full. We also use a squirt of Morning Fresh dishwashing liquid in the top tank. My husband said it does seem to work better (i.e. breaks everything up better) than the chemicals, which we always used in the porta-potty before we got the Expanda.

I used the pink Vanish because that's what I already had. I also heard the cheaper ones are supposedly better, and when I run out of the good stuff, I'll buy the Coles version.

Mick&Vanessa

Feb 20, 2014
Sydney
Thanks, I will give the Napisan a go. I'm really impressed with what the chemicals do for the price they cost. Thanks also for the tips on eucalyptus and 2-ply paper.