Exterior The wheels fell of my crapper

halbster

May 13, 2014
The axle that holds the wheel on the cassette for the Thetford system broke off.
Anyone seen this before? That part actually slides out of the cassette so should be able to replace it, but I can't find the part on any of the sites. Where should I look to source the part from?

halbster

May 13, 2014
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ouch

thats a shytty idea to have happened

cannot help you though,
how did it brake? it looks like it was jammed or something

or

was it dropped because it was heavier than expected?

@Drover , your the resident toilet fixer-uperer

Reactions: dagree

halbster

May 13, 2014
Looks like C400 or C402C. In the parts diagram it lists wheels and bearings combined single part

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Can you drill a hole in the centre of the wheel slightly bigger than a hex drive/roofing screw which you will then screw into what is left of the axle.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Need an ID on the cassette but many parts seem not available here in Oz................few more pics of the axle and removable bit, you may be able to tool up a new axle flange, you should be able to pop off the plastic cap on the wheel to remove the broken stub and go from there, a bolt may work but a screw won't in the long term. You may be able to use a brass bolt thru the body with an extra plate to support and it would become the new axle a feasable repair job anyway...

Reactions: bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,

from the look of the axle, you may be able to disassemble it, put the two pieces of the axle together and wrap some tape around the join, then fill the hollow axle with 2-part epoxy. I can't see clearly form the photos, but you may have to drill a hole at one end to fill it.

There may be some complications about how you reassemble it. Another alternative is to temporarily glue the axle together (thus avoiding having to tape it together. Assemble the whole shebang, and again, find a way to fill the hollow axle with epoxy.

cheers
Mike

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
It's a 402c and most bits are available but takes some looking sometimes. You can call thetford here but I've bought the odd bits off U.K. Sellers. Shouldnt matter with the wheels but should you ever get another cassette just be aware that the bloody things are "handed" depending on if the system is on the right or left side! And there is NO chance to make a left cassette work in a right hand system or vice a versa!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
me, I would "over engineer the repair"

pull the wheel apart thats broken, for the axle stub
pull the bottom of the cassette apart to get the rest of the axle out

get a broom handle, the same thickness as the inside diameter, cut it down to length, and slot that in there
make sure the other end sits nicely with the join - then take the broom handle out, get some Araldite - 2 part, mix it up, and put all around the handle.
put it back in, and attach the other end in as well
cover all over the join with a thin layer of the araldite, then get a piece of black electrical tape
wind that around the join once, for support

leave it for a day
then re-assemble

me, I would also drill small holes through the axle and into the broom handle, and put in a pin,(bent paperclip, and glue that in as well) on either side of the repair

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I could have sworn I looked there yesterday myself and didn't notice them. Could probably knock something up of of alloy or steel.

While my spare can is the orange one it has a similar wheel hub set up, I didn't try to pull it off though, leave well enough alone.....................

Reactions: bigcol