The Pathie is sick

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
So we put the Pathie in for a service about a week ago. When it came back the car started stalling from a cold start. After about five or so goes of restarting the car finally stops stalling. It had been doing that all week.
The mechanic had a look at it today and is suspecting the timing chain. He mentions this being a problem on the Pathie we have and starts talking about figures getting close to $3000 to fix.
So I get on the phone to Nissan and tell them the story of how the mechanic suspects timing chain issues. The first thing Nissan says is that they would like to have the car overnight as they would like to check it from a cold start. To that point I had not mentioned the issues regarding what was happening on cold starts.
So we have left the Pathie with Nissan tonight. I am going to catch up with them tomorrow morning for what I fear is going to end up being a costly discussion.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Oh no @Brad not good, keep us updated on the findings. Seems strange got serviced then issues arise! A common issue from post servicing is right near the oil filter is a vacuum hose which can easily get knocked off and causes symptoms you are describe. Also nearby the filter is the SCV (suction control valve) related to the fuel system which could've been knocked. Just a couple of quick suggestions for you to ponder over.

Mate, get on the Pathy forum http://pcoa.org.au/forum/index.php and troll through a search from what has been documented there, no doubt you'll see the dreaded timing chain wows though others too. Don't be afraid, I'm quietly confident it'll be something silly, given it just came back from service.

Q: Did you read any codes from the ECU or disconnect the battery for a ECU reset prior to handing over to Ni$$an?

Pace.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thanks @Pace. Fingers crossed it turns out to be something simple.
I didn't read any codes or disconnect the battery.

All that Nissan are doing today is some assessing. I could look at some of these things later today and see.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
I'd firstly be looking at what the heck they did on the service.

Nissan will most likely be doing and Injector feedback reading that needs to be done on a cold motor to get the readings first. It could more than likely be as simple as glow plugs as it seems to be a problem starting cold. If it runs fine after you finally get it going then it's not going to be the timing as it would be buggered all the time not just on startup.
It may be a simple vacuum hose or plug not connected since it started after the service. But,

Might be glow plugs, maybe Injectors, or maybe SCV (suction control valve) by your description. SCV being easiest and cheapest to replace, then glow plugs next dearest and finally the Injectors being the most expensive in these common rail diesels.

Hopefully it's the simple problem.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
So the news has not been good.
The timing chain needs to be replaced. I was told the tensioner was running at its extremities.
Once they got the parts off they found the rubber on the harmonic balancer was "oil soaked" and deteriorated.
They are going to replace that also but I have said I need to keep cost to the 3K mark. Nissan are going to investigate a second hand replacement for the harmonic balancer parts. They seem to believe the harmonic balancer is not an item on the pathies that tend to go. Thus they expect to be able to pick up a good quality second hand one.
They talked about some damage to the casing as a result but sounds like they were not concerned about that.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
So Pathie came back to us this week all fixed.
Timing chains were replaced plus accompanying parts. They also replaced harmonic balancer and idler pulley as that was noisy. Plus a new set of wiper blades :)
They managed to keep it all under 3K.
Now that it's back we cannot believe how much quieter it runs.
Very happy it's fixed. Not as happy with the hole it left in the wallet.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
On the bright side, better to have these big ticket failures at home where you have the luxury of a bit of time and choice ... than during a trip away.

Obviously all quiet up along the river this morning, you've been posting furiously from the wee early hours. :) Be pretty cool in the mornings too I expect

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
On the bright side, better to have these big ticket failures at home where you have the luxury of a bit of time and choice ... than during a trip away.

Obviously all quiet up along the river this morning, you've been posting furiously from the wee early hours. :) Be pretty cool in the mornings too I expect
Yeah!! Clearly I did not drink enough wine. :)

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Good you caught it now though.....eventually it would have "lunched" the engine......$15k plus or so.

Good luck, at least you know you've got a good 'un now.