The Beast is finally ready...Another BT-50

Archie

Banned
Aug 6, 2012
Perth WA
Finally got “The Beast” (as my daughter calls it) finished in time for the big trip to Tassie in 3 weeks. Thought I’d post a few photos.

Final accessory list includes OME 2 inch lift, ARB Bullbar and canopy, Redarc 25 Amp DC/DC battery charger, Cooper AT3 265/70R17 tyres and a fair bit more.

All up I’m very happy with the Mazda so far and looking forward to the trip. It pulls the Expanda along very nicely.

Archie
20131027_165413.jpg 20131027_164029.jpg

Archie

Banned
Aug 6, 2012
Perth WA
Before we even bought it my young one reckoned it looked like a monster from behind with the tail lights. The name kind of took from there. So far it seems to perform like one off road and towing too. We'll be driving from Perth To Melbourne, over to Tassie and back so it should get a fair work out.

Archie

Banned
Aug 6, 2012
Perth WA
Went with the auto. I picked up a Reece Hitch 3.5 t adjustable hitch so the level will be right. I reckon you are right about the colour Cruza. One of my mates picked up a Ranger the same week I got mine and guess what...confusing in the car park now.

Reactions: cruza driver

Archie

Banned
Aug 6, 2012
Perth WA
For those interested, I did have a problem with the new alternators on the 2013 model. It's variable voltage and did result in a blown Setec unit on the Expanda. I've fixed that by putting in a Redarc low voltage DC/DC charger that runs direct to the battery and bypasses the Setec. It was subject of another post but it pays to be aware of it.

Archie

Banned
Aug 6, 2012
Perth WA
It's next on my list too mate. I've seen some expensive options on e Bay but they all require drilling. I might raid Bunnings for some thick weather seal before I go too far. That was one problem with the ARB canopy. I notice it's stamped "Ranger" and I don't know if they are the best fit on the Mazda tray for some reason.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ok thanks @Archie let us know how you go :thumb:

I know mine sucks dust in there, I don't have a canopy but the tonneau works well to stop the dust its the tailgate that lets it down.

:tea:

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
I know mine sucks dust in there, I don't have a canopy but the tonneau works well to stop the dust its the tailgate that lets it down

Clark rubber sell a lot of rubber seals we used them on the bt50 sealed well even a trip through the Flinders, and 7wk trip around W.A including a side trip to the old station built from railway sleepers off the Nullarbor.
still got work after 50,000ks.get the right size and they work well.thought I was the only one with dust problem (secondhand ute)Im hard on them.

shiraz bt50 towing a 16.49.3 outback.

Reactions: cruza driver

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Archie looks good, great colour too.

Mate what's with getting it finished 3 weeks before a trip? Iam lucky if mines back together 3 hours before a trip still after many sleepless nights!

Archie

Banned
Aug 6, 2012
Perth WA
To be fair I've had it since March mate. No sense in rushing these things I reckon. Anything could go wrong yet and probably will....

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I put a pressure hatch in the canopy and dust seals around the tailgate on my Ranger, still bucket loads of dust when we went to the Cape. Found a heap of holes in the tub, under the tub liner, right below the roll of the tub. These holes opened into the void between the inner and outer skin. Ended up with hundred mile an hour tape over them all and had no more dust issues.

Reactions: 17triton