Temporary bed ends for rental

VickiS

Mar 13, 2013
Hi everyone

hubby and I (with 3 tackers dragged along) have arranged to rent a 17.56 - 2 jayco expanda pop top for 6 months to do our first ever trip around east coast from April. We did a trial run a couple of weeks ago on a weekend and noticed wetness of the mattresses overnight from condensation of cold evenings. We have since been doing some research online and see that ends getting wet is a common problem and we would to solve it if we can for our trip! Our renter tells us the van does not come with privacy screens and, further, there are no press studs under the hard lids to hang any to if we even bought some. Given its a rental we can't make a any permanent changes to the van itself and ideally spending 1,000 odd on screens is also too much for us.

any suggestions from the DIY as to how we can waterproof our ends in these circumstances? Much appreciated

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
How about a draping a tarp over the canvas, and pegging it down (or to the van)? Not the most glamorous solution, but cheap and non permanent....

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hmmmm, that's a tricky one. Not sure you can do anything without either sail track or press studs to attach to.
I'm sure you're spending a lot for 6 months rental, so I would suggest you go back to them and politely demand some sort of fixing. If they're not prepared to provide you with any bed fly's then the least they could do is attach some fixings so you can source your own.
Surely this will be a common request from future renters so they might as well do it and keep everyone happy.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Have you thought about buying a van just for the trip and selling it upon your return?

Enjoy your trip and I think the tarp idea could be the go.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Have you thought about buying a van just for the trip and selling it upon your return?

Good point Cruza, I can see why someone would rent for a couple of weeks. But for 6 months it may be worth looking into purchasing and re-selling when you return.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Hi VickiS,

Have to agree with CD and Lara, as friends of ours did a approx 7 month trip around Oz with a panda
that they bought brand new. Made sure that they looked after it and sold it for $500 more than they paid
when they arrived home. I have no idea how much it will cost to hire but even if you lost a couple a grand on a new one
after using it for 6 months still would be cheaper than hiring i would have thought. Obviously that's if finances permit you doing so.
You also have the advantage of warranties etc. Or just do as Soaring suggested and drap a tarp over the ends.

ckcklopic

Aug 11, 2011
Melbourne
We have used car windscreen sun shields for a really cheap option if you get them from Kmart or $2- shop. We used 3 of them, joined with a dot of velcroe, and stood them between the mattress and the canvas.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
We have used car windscreen sun shields for a really cheap option if you get them from Kmart or $2- shop. We used 3 of them, joined with a dot of velcroe, and stood them between the mattress and the canvas.
Always have a few in the van. Very versatile. Also used "space blankets" as reflective insulation - they weigh zilch and are cheap as.