QLD Taking Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3 OB onto Fraser Island

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Hello,

We are planning on visiting Fraser Island for the first time at the end of this year.

We will be going with other family friends who have been there many times before (one regularly takes their 16 foot expanda, single axle).

I am a little worried about towing and possibly getting stuck in the sand getting to/from the ferry at Inskip Point.

Has anyone successfully towed a dual axle or 2.5 tonne caravan onto Fraser Island and can provide feedback?

Our tow vehicle is a Pajero Sport with BF Goodrich T/A KO2 18" tyres, with standard suspension.

Just looking at some feedback and advice.

Otherwise was thinking about staying in accommodation this first time to get a feel for the place and may try with the caravan another year.

Thank you!

carco

Jan 20, 2019
Gympie
First thing is to look at "I got bogged at Inskip Point" on FB.
Inskip sand is very chopped up so you'll find your stock height vehicle will be dragging its guts. If your van has a conventional axle, it will be grading the hump between the wheel ruts.
I'd say leave the van at Inskip. Walk up to the sand track and watch the goings on.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Soft sand driving is all about momentum and tyre footprint (rolling resistance). My smaller 16" wheels will have a much higher profile than your 18" ( /75 vs /60?) which means a low tyre pressure gives me a large contact patch. In your case the 18's may not be able to deflate enough to give you that and stay on the rim. I've had my jayco OB tyres down to 15psi in soft sand no problem

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It is always a gamble as the track/beach conditions are always changing and you have to pick your tides, the spit at Innskip can be very soft especially at Holiday time as hundreds dig it up and with lines for the barge being very long in busy times.
Far better to take a canvas camp, less hassle.
Buy Park permits online saves quite a few $$$$, barge tickets from the Manta Ray Office at Rainbow Beach

carco

Jan 20, 2019
Gympie
Drover sounds like you’ve been there too. Momentum is fine if you have a clear run but it gets so busy at inskip that there’s often a few “passing lanes” on the go at any one time.
Only takes one car with 40 psi tyres to stop the whole procession and towing a van won’t allow you to make the instant decision to veer around someone who’s buried themselves ahead.
With A/T tyres I go to 10psi on sand, same for the camper.
And if I was towing a van I would have a mate on the strap ahead of me to keep it all rolling.
Otherwise you’re going to be on Facebook for sure.
There’s always River Heads across to Central Station or even over to Kingfisher.

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Still deciding if we should take the caravan or not or just stay in accommodation for our first experience.

Good idea if we can have a mate in front with strap already connected "just in case" to get us up closer to the ferry.

I have started to watch some of the videos too....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We live there so get to know when to stay away but sometimes wander over to see how many vehicles are in trouble and watch, given up stuffing my gear and vehicle like most locals.... I actually wouldn't go over nowadays at holiday time, the line up to get onto the barge can be huge and the chance of getting a run to cross the sand can be slim, you can be the best sand runner in the world but someone will get in the way and stuff it up..... its just bedlam over there .......places like Double Island Point on the mainland will have a 800 vehicles parked there over a LWE, we go up on the Wed after it for a picnic and there's 3 of us, bliss, Fraser is the same it can be like Woollies car park, still beautifull all the same, I dont mean to put a downer on it, you will love it all its just that they let too many over which spoils it.......
Other hint is buy your extra food and beer at Cooloola Cove and fuel at Tin Can Bay just on the way to Rainbow the savings you will make can allow for an extra carton.

carco

Jan 20, 2019
Gympie
Been going there since the 60’s. Not interested in Fraser anymore and with all the rules at DI and so on ( no camping on the beach) I just stay at Inskip.
I guess it’s called progress but it sure was a far nicer place back then, home made beach buggies that were left down in the bush until next trip.
Eudovic’s shop, sand mining, Land Rovers with some reo mesh on the front bar, yep was a true paradise.
Who can forget that first glimpse of ocean as you rolled into Rainbow.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @carco I certainly know what you mean........its still beautiful outside holiday season......yesterday looking towards DI from Rainbow, not a lit if beach, sand slow to return after Feb storms. IMG_1559016182809.jpg