Swapping regular windows for ones with incorporated blackout blinds

scott_hutch

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
We're considering changing the windows on the kids bunks over to the ones that include the blackout blinds when you slide down and privacy screens when you slide up. Has anyone done this?

I believe the blackout blind version became standard on the 2013 model, and we have the 2012 model (18.57-9).

The local Jayco service centre said it can't be done because of various things that made no sense. I'd be very surprised if Jayco changed the side panels on the caravans just to cater for a subtly different window. I expect it's the same sized hole, and the entire window frame can be removed, and a replacement fitted.

Any thoughts? The problem we have is the kids always wake up so early due to sun streaming in, and then we are awake too...

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Towel rail on the outside over that window? It would be easy for Jayco to make that change between years, it would only be a computer setting that alters the cutter device but I agree with you. Can you speak to the window people and get the spec sheets on both windows. You may be lucky and it is a simple swap.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Might be an issue with the frame around the existing windows.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I don`t know if it will help you or not but on our 17ft the light would come straight in under the curtain on the bottom bunk so to make it better I ran some of that white coated curtain wire through the bottom of the curtain and attached to a hook either end which pulled it in against the wall and stopped a lot of the light coming in.

Reactions: Burnsy and Joanne

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
"I don`t know if it will help you or not but on our 17ft the light would come straight in under the curtain on the bottom bunk so to make it better I ran some of that white coated curtain wire through the bottom of the curtain and attached to a hook either end which pulled it in against the wall and stopped a lot of the light coming in. "

Sounds like a much better idea @17triton. We have the new windows in the Starcraft and I am still undecided if I like them or not. Yes they do blockout the light extremely well, but the catches are very fiddly to release the screen so you can get to the actual window. Then I find getting the window to open/close to the right amount of opening is so hard. I know we have only used it a couple of times but I get very frustrated with them. Also I have found if the window is open and the privacy screen is up and the wind picks up it blows the screen out of the tracks and is hard to put back in especially if the wind is blowing as you can't shut the window to stop the wind!!!

Reactions: Marv_mart

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
We're considering changing the windows on the kids bunks over to the ones that include the blackout blinds when you slide down and privacy screens when you slide up. Has anyone done this?

I believe the blackout blind version became standard on the 2013 model, and we have the 2012 model (18.57-9).

The local Jayco service centre said it can't be done because of various things that made no sense. I'd be very surprised if Jayco changed the side panels on the caravans just to cater for a subtly different window. I expect it's the same sized hole, and the entire window frame can be removed, and a replacement fitted.

Any thoughts? The problem we have is the kids always wake up so early due to sun streaming in, and then we are awake too...

Hi
i see no real reason for not changing the windows, they should fit fine. the only difference to the new from old is the old had the inbuilt winder to open the window while the new ones you just kicked it open by hand till it caught on the built in struts.
the blinds are really not even part of the window, they just get screwed onto the wall around it, but because of the winder sticking out they can't go on the old windows (unless you remove the winder and leave the window shut)
personally if it was my van i'd remove the handle, cut the locking tab off the end of it so it won't lock into position (easy to remove) then just screw the new blinds to the wall, when you want to open the window open the blinds, push the handle in and crank away. would save you several hundred $$'s per window. .......
but after saying that i've never done it and it would rely on the crank handle clearing the blind surround so a few checks might be needed first, and you may need to remove pelmets etc, so may be left with a few screw holes to dress up

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Hi
i see no real reason for not changing the windows, they should fit fine. the only difference to the new from old is the old had the inbuilt winder to open the window while the new ones you just kicked it open by hand till it caught on the built in struts.
the blinds are really not even part of the window, they just get screwed onto the wall around it, but because of the winder sticking out they can't go on the old windows (unless you remove the winder and leave the window shut)
personally if it was my van i'd remove the handle, cut the locking tab off the end of it so it won't lock into position (easy to remove) then just screw the new blinds to the wall, when you want to open the window open the blinds, push the handle in and crank away. would save you several hundred $$'s per window. .......
but after saying that i've never done it and it would rely on the crank handle clearing the blind surround so a few checks might be needed first, and you may need to remove pelmets etc, so may be left with a few screw holes to dress up
Hi Dave

So the binds are available separately? Are they thru Jayco or Coast to Coast?

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
sorry can't help you there, not sure where they come from ....... i only fix them not order stuff for them :)

I can find out on monday if you need to know tho

Last edited: