16' Series Swapping 90 ltr 3 way fridge for Waeco compressor fridge.

Micko

Sep 6, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
Hi all, I'm looking at swapping over my 90ltr dometic 3 way for a 90ltr Waeco compressor fridge. I'm sick of the inconsistencies in the the cooling with the 3 way. Does anyone know if the Waeco will just slide into the existing spot or does it require some modifications? Also, I've seen some 2 way fridges on eBay for half the price of the Waeco does anyone have any feed back on these fridges? Thank you!!!

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Not sure about the size but usually when you pay extra for a mobile fridge you get a better product.
No name or no-one knows the name car fridges are great for the first few trips then bang something goes wrong and no one can fix them.
4x4 forums are full of these stories.
Pay the money and buy a Waeco (or better still see if Engel has a equivalent)

Reactions: Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
First check the old fridge will come out of the van! I know sounds stupid but forums are full of people who have had to disassemble the van or fridge! Secondly you are aware if free camping you need more battery and solar to juice them? With a compressor fridge in a van I'd go waeco. Although I love the Engels that damn swing compressor inside a van in dead of the night is a noisey bitch.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Are the 3-way fridge cooling problems associated with lack of ventilation at the back of the fridge cavity (which i read someone here rectified with some mods and a computer/extraction fan) or is it just a 3-way fridge thing?
Looks like i might need to take my engel with me on our first trip to keep the beer at the correct temp :)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The newer tropical rated 3 way Dometic fridges work quiet well, more so with a fan behind. But every single time you open it in warm weather you kill it bit by bit. In warm climates we use the Engel during the day and leave the Dometic. Works really well

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You will need a tape measure to compare cavity size to fridge size but first up just check that the 3 way is actually fitted correctly, mine wasn't and was a food warmer until I sorted it out, now the damn thing will freeze everything if you turn the dial too high.

I'd go the Waeco for the same reasons of @NoWorries , fans can be helpfull at the back to keep an airflow as well but if your going to use it as a drinks fridge also then it won't be any better than the 3 way, open door cold falls out........I use an Engel for the drinks always as @Crusty181 mentioned.