Interior Suggestions for cleaning the rear of my fridge

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I've pulled out the fridge and cleaned off a fair amount of dust and crud around the fins etc. Is there any value in giving them a light coat of black paint? There is some light rust and I assume the fin section is critical for efficient operation
IMG_20220511_111835.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I cleaned mine of all the crud hanging off them, fins and tubes and gave them a respray, being close to the coast I thought it a good idea as any bare metal here soon rusts, .... Recent trials show it works better than ever now, 11 years of crap all gone.. I used a 30cal brass brush did a great job on the fins.

I also improved the insulation of the cabinet and ran a thin bead of silastic across the floor so when I pushed the fridge back into place (silastic dry) it made a good dust seal, only place I got a bit of dust was from under the fridge.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Cleaned as best I could and sprayed the top section
View attachment 68262
Also removed the chimney insulation to check the boiler section. Now to slide it back in...
The rear outlet for the fridge will smell of heated/burning (flameless) paint and solvent for a while when operating on gas, or 240 volt power. But after that, your corrosion of pipes and condenser radiating fins should be slowed down for a while. Good idea though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You put me to shame @jazzeddie1234 with your masking, I held a some cardboard up while I sprayed around, did all my pipes and surprisingly it didn't stink when I ran it up, just used $3 paint, I took the opportunity to clean up everything including the circuit board ......