Stubborn Mud Cleaning

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
Hi all,

This could be a case of 'don't ask a question you don't want the answer too'! Our Expanda has some very, very stubborn mud on the underside (see pic). I've tried high pressure hoses, soaking it, various detergents all with no luck. It will, of course, come off with a wire brush on the grinder or flappy paddle sanding but that also goes through the galv presumably. It's also impossible to get into all the nooks and crannies. The only thing I haven't tried is sand blasting.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe taking it to a sand blasting place and re-galving will be our only path - or just leaving it of course!

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    679.2 KB · Views: 234

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
How about dry ice which I have used several times with success as it won't damage the gal. If you are in Melbourne I use Stan at mech 'n' air campelfield we use this method on cleaning turbine components.

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
I dont know, but to prevent it maybe spray some crc wd40 underneath. Sounds a bit crazy due to size I know but I use to do it on the bikes. Lot smaller than a van though...just throwing one out there.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
How do you go through the process @Ch00ka77, sounds interesting
Dry Ice Cleaning is a technologically advanced, environmentally responsible surface preparation and cleaning method for all industries, dry ice blasting, the CryoGenesis cleaning process utilizes dry ice (Solid (CO2) which is formed into 3mm rice like pellets (Drice®) or blocks of dry ice which are ground into tiny particles the size of sugar crystals. These particles are then accelerated to supersonic speeds via a blasting unit and applied using a hand held or robotized blasting gun to the surface to be cleaned. Upon impact, the dry ice immediately turns from its solid state into carbon dioxide vapour expanding up to 540 times its volume. The energy produced by the conversion of solid to vapour is considerable and is responsible for much of the cleaning process. The vapour disappears back into the atmosphere, leaving only the removed contaminant itself for disposal. Unlike conventional blast cleaning methods: grit, sand, plastic media etc. Dry Ice blast cleaning is non-abrasive to the impacted surface. Some info from the net but if you google ice blasting there is some good videos of the process.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
I spray ours with so easy witch is a Tyre shine and when i get home it all just washes straight off i even put it on front off van no bugs stay on there ether were a thought .

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
If you cant get the real bad stains out leave them just shows you get out and use your van and you can tell a story or two ....