Storing van

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Any thoughts on how to store van we have a 20/63-1 but i cant fit in shed as it is to high by half of the air con unit do i go a cover and leave it out side ? cant mod shed as its mum and dads they not let me any thoughts would be great thanks HAPPY CARAVANING

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
Hey Brotys, we have 3 huge sheds but alas none of them will fit our 20.63.1 that we have on order. Soooooo, we are erecting a Shade Shed (kind of like a carport) to house the Panda and we will also keep a cover on it as well. One can never have too many sheds right? That's what hubby thinks anyway! Renai

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hey Brotys, we have 3 huge sheds but alas none of them will fit our 20.63.1 that we have on order. Soooooo, we are erecting a Shade Shed (kind of like a carport) to house the Panda and we will also keep a cover on it as well. One can never have too many sheds right? That's what hubby thinks anyway! Renai[/quot
Hey Brotys, we have 3 huge sheds but alas none of them will fit our 20.63.1 that we have on order. Soooooo, we are erecting a Shade Shed (kind of like a carport) to house the Panda and we will also keep a cover on it as well. One can never have too many sheds right? That's what hubby thinks anyway! Renai
Thats right never have to many sheds but got no room at this house for van to stay full time and mum and dad rent a farm house with shed bigger nuff to fit 5 vans in it but door way to low

Reactions: Ren77

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
As much as we'd love a shed (or 3 ) here, it's not an option in our little backyard. We could keep the van half an hour away with family, but love the convenience of having it at home. We keep ours under a caravan cover we bought for about $140 online & have been really happy with how it
- keeps the van really clean (duco on a friend's panda that sits unprotevted in the elements looks relatively trashed).
- is really easy to take on and off (1 person easily doable enough; 2 people 10 mins from go to whoa)
- is really easy to access the van whenever we want; we slip under the cover and the door opens far enough to get comfortably inside without having to take the cover off or hoik it up. If we loosen the two tie-down straps either side of the door enough, there's actually enough room to open the door 180° back onto its latch/holder jobbie if we plan to be in and out multiple times but can't be bothered unstrapping the cover.

Not a shed, but it's served us really well for over two years now and has been well worth it.

StevoPX

Aug 28, 2013
hi Wadamses! Iwould like a good cover as well! Where online did you order yours? And what make?

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Hi StevoPX
Got it from DealsDirect.
Just checked their site & there are a couple of brands, & a caravan 'carport' as well (just put 'caravan cover' into their search facility).
Can't speak for the PCCover one which may be great, but we have the 'Heavy Duty 4 Side Open' which continues to serve well.
They're more expensive than when we got them tho still worth it,IMHO :)
If you're not in a desperate hurry for it, it might be worth keeping an eye on the site for a few weeks. They often have good sales with up to 40% off and or $2 shipping specials, which is what we scored.

Happy shopping, Stevo! :)

donnybabes

Dec 24, 2012
Bendigo Vic
I have a similar problem with storeage.Small yard,long narrow drive way.I had 2 shade sails installed in front of the garage thats too small to fit my van.In summer the shade sail give good cover and in winter I put the caravan cover on as added protection.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK gang, we're getting quotes for carports... and it turns out they are quite prohibitive... in my mind anyhow.

So now I'm thinking of perhaps levelling out the space, crushed rock and a caravan cover.

Reading above there seems to be quite a few out there. Just trying to work whether or not it's worth the small $$ (~$250) or go the rolls Royce (>$1k).

Anymore recent thoughts are more than welcome.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
OK gang, we're getting quotes for carports... and it turns out they are quite prohibitive... in my mind anyhow.

So now I'm thinking of perhaps levelling out the space, crushed rock and a caravan cover.

Reading above there seems to be quite a few out there. Just trying to work whether or not it's worth the small $$ (~$250) or go the rolls Royce (>$1k).

Anymore recent thoughts are more than welcome.

Go the cheap one. You will get 2 or 3 years out of it. Ebay costs more like $120 from memory

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Go the cheap one. You will get 2 or 3 years out of it. Ebay costs more like $120 from memory

Yep... that's what I'm thinking. Even if I get 2/3 years out of it, I can buy 8 of them (16yrs) before you get up to near the expensive ones. And I strongly doubt our situations will be the same in 16yrs time.

So now onto my new big landscaping job to build the spot to park it... :)

denwol

Jul 2, 2014
Innisfail
Does anyone know how a van goes in hot humid conditions under a cover. Am I better off opening it up? I live near Cairns and its mould central in the wet season. I was also thinking maybe closing it up, putting a cover on it and running a dehumidifier during the wet season inside it. IF you have other suggestions on storage in humidity, would love to hear.

Reactions: Darrin

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Yep... that's what I'm thinking. Even if I get 2/3 years out of it, I can buy 8 of them (16yrs) before you get up to near the expensive ones. And I strongly doubt our situations will be the same in 16yrs time.

So now onto my new big landscaping job to build the spot to park it... :)
That's my thinking. I'm onto my third in about 6 years (at around $140 each).
Keeps the van looking like new.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We brought a cheap Aldi one $99 although have been thinking seeing the van is like 50cm from wall and same from fence could put up a roof.. Have to look at how much and if you can bylaw wise? Was told under 3.6 meters I may not need a permit.
Has anyone just used the dearer almost waterproof shade cloth?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
We brought a cheap Aldi one $99 although have been thinking seeing the van is like 50cm from wall and same from fence could put up a roof.. Have to look at how much and if you can bylaw wise? Was told under 3.6 meters I may not need a permit.
Has anyone just used the dearer almost waterproof shade cloth?

@davemc I was looking at putting up a carport (4m x 7m x 3m high). According to our council it does need a permit and these are obtained through a private building surveyor. Once I got a couple of quotes for a full colourbond carport, including permits, the cost was $5.2k. Permits were $1k of this... This doesn't include the amendments to the fence for gate purposes that will be required. (I'm guessing ~$1k there).

Hence why we're actually going around to do a crushed rock pad and a really good cover. The van would have still been exposed to the prevailing wind, rain and sun to a certain degree, and I may still plant up some landscaping/wind breaks to add additional protection, but I just couldn't justify the costs on four posts and a few sheets of colour bond.

Maybe at a later stage.

Kate File

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia
We have kept our Outback Expanda (16.49-3) parked on our busy suburban street, under trees (bit of shade), for 4 years under the Jayco cover that it came with. It kept it in fine condition. Hubby always washed it after a trip and before putting the cover on. The only slight inconvenience was having to roll up the side and I wouldn't leave certain foods on the van in summer.

I always wanted to know the internal temperature inside the cupboards in summer. Need some clever gadget man with a thermometre and remote guage!

We are expecting a new 20.63-1 in a few weeks and it too will be be parked on the street. (we have sold the 16 footer)

Reactions: skippy and brotys

Darrin

Sep 5, 2013
Birkdale Qld
We built a exposed agg concrete pad got some mob to but a shade sail over the top at the side of the house , this was to house the boat .Luckily enough the van fits under it by about 100mm .Then we brought a Camper trolley to get it in its spot , works well though. The cover we brought from Storm Covers at the Sunny coast , paid a bit for it and you get what you pay for .It has an insulated inner that not only protects from the elements and hail but keeps the van cool inside .It has a zip section at the door so you don't need to take the whole side of to get in .

Cheers