Storage questions

Lisa

Aug 2, 2013
Hi everyone.

We have purchased a 2009 jayco expanda. Off the top of my head I cant think of the model number. It has both bed ends and a double bunk, single axle.

I have so many questions but at this point can i please ask for suggestions on the following?

1. Im trying to work out how to pack the van. what do you put in the small top cubpoards above the tables and beds etc. Just unsure how to use these spaces given they are so litte.
2. What do you store in the storage area under the beds where there are some pull up doors?
3. How do I store tables, chairs etc to be used outside when we are travelling ie: so they dont move around etc.

If anyone has any photos of how they pack their van with kitchen items, linen etc I would be so appreciative.

Cheers

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi everyone.

We have purchased a 2009 jayco expanda. Off the top of my head I cant think of the model number. It has both bed ends and a double bunk, single axle.

I have so many questions but at this point can i please ask for suggestions on the following?

1. Im trying to work out how to pack the van. what do you put in the small top cubpoards above the tables and beds etc. Just unsure how to use these spaces given they are so litte.
2. What do you store in the storage area under the beds where there are some pull up doors?
3. How do I store tables, chairs etc to be used outside when we are travelling ie: so they dont move around etc.

If anyone has any photos of how they pack their van with kitchen items, linen etc I would be so appreciative.

Cheers

@Lisa Welcome to the forum. From what i can picture your van is a 16.49-2 (anyone else got an idea, please correct).

1 - small cupboard around the top are good for all the knick knack stuff/ pantry like items closer toward the kitchen area. (Mrs Pace allways re arranges the cupboards anyhow and is finding beter things and more essential to pack away, you'll to odo this as you use the van more and realise ''why did i pack that!!!!'')
2 - these are good for all that stuff you need carry that gets dirty are this compartment is hardy and easy to clean out
3 - we use collapsable type chairs which place under the dining table, as for a table, we have a bi fold type which i occy strap to the bed end bar which you can see as the bed is pack away.

Hope all this helps you. Pace.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We use the small cupboards above the table for our clothes, we need to roll clothes and pack tight. The cushions on the couches lift off for access under the couches. We carry our chairs/tables for outside in when boot of the car for easy access.

Cheers Cracka

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We use small cupboards above sink for crockery and cups. We use a lot of that anti slip rubber matting.
Cupboards above other areas contain towels, tea towels, mags, games,DVD, CDs and any remotes.
The boot contains anything more BBQ, external or van setup related. In the old van the seats sat on the floor. But in the new van, they go in a big toolbox I mounted on the drawbar on the front.
Oh yeah... Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
We have am old zip up canvas bag that belonged to the roof cage on our old 4wd that use to keep our stuff dry.

We now lay it on the floor in the van and put our tables and chairs in there to stop them flying around and bumping anything!

Reactions: blacky

Johnstons

Aug 10, 2012
Anywhere in the great outdoors
Hi Lisa, This is what we have where....
In the top three cupboards I have some clothes in the first one, tissue box, small games and hot water bottles in middle, the cups and glasses in the last which are in a plastic basket.
Under the back bed I have 2 box's of lego for my son and three wire baskets. Two have clothes and the other I'm still thinking about.
Our chairs go either between the bed ends and fridge or under the table and our plastic outside table goes between back bed end and cupboard. We sit it on cupboard so it doesn't scratch anything.
Hope this helps but the more you get out there the more you will find what works for you.
Cheers

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
Hi Lisa

It is definitely a 16.49.2 as its the same as mine. As for storage we have only ever stored clothes and light items in the top cupboards as you want to keep the weight of things closer to the floor (safer to tow).

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
We also have a 16.49. The top cupboards.....are almost empty, except for one above the table with some wine glasses and drink coolers. The one across the back has a kite and some board games inside from memory. We have tried to minimise how much we pack to reduce wasted weight. We put chairs under the table as others do, but we put our outside table on top of the inside dining table with it folded down, and use some towels to protect the side wall. Under the rear bed we store sleeping bags and extra blankets, the front boot space has all the van set up equipment including annex,poles, ropes and pegs.

Enjoy your van, the more you use it the better you get at packing and what to take.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We pack light stuff in the top cupboards, under the table for TV, clothes airer, sleeping bags, all strapped together to keep them in place. Fold up chairs in the car. Wife is till modifying the positions every time we travel

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Don't get stressed, @Lisa, this is all good fun.
We still pack too much after 30 years, but are leaner and lighter each time we head off.
Basic rule is to pack heavier items down low and near the axle, lighter items can go overhead or at the rear.
(See the picture.)
Certainly quite different from the way you would organise things at home. (For example we have towels, jumpers, parkas, hats, breakfast cereals, tea, coffee, snacks, wine glasses, electric toaster, fan heater, crockery, bed end reading lights, pillows, DVD's etc., in our overheads.) You soon get used to where everything lives. Lists are a good idea though. We've found quite a few duplications over the years (I forgot that was in there.)
Same deal with kitchen drawers. Enough cutlery for normal use up top as usual (convenience rules here) but other spare cutlery & gadgets go down bottom, glad wrap etc in second drawer, tea towels, oven mitt etc in 3rd one.

You might also like to try my idea of putting little sticky dots on (nearly) everything you put in the van. Take the sticker off when you actually USE that item. After a couple of trips take out anything with a sticker still on it and seriously consider whether you REALLY need it in you van at all.

A couple of shorter trips will help you decide where everything will live. And if you've left something behind it usually won't spoil your holiday. If there's another Expanda owner nearby they'll usually lend you a cork screw or whatever you've forgotten.

As you learn from experience you'll find weight saving/space saving solutions you can adopt. Things like microfibre bath towels, Tupperware job lots, telescoping/folding broom, collapsible buckets, etc.
It's all part of the fun.
397310013.367105.png

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
It was a bit confusing for me as we'll hear goes above the table I have o e cupboard for first aid kit medicines sunscreen next to it I put cable remotes for tv torches ,power board above first bed CDs music card games ect next to that nibble cupboard lollies chips kids can't get in their on top of other bed shower accessories in a bag so just need to carry to shower under rear bed ainly towels and linen I do put a couple of towels in draw under the seats and tabes cupboard on top near door I put all foils,glad wrap garage bags seal bags etc I store chairs flat on floor

Lisa

Aug 2, 2013
Great thank you everyone for your replies. I just want to make good use of the spaces and there is so much space compared to our old campervan.

Another question - do you put shelves in your wardrobe ??? the type you get from Howards storage world. I would LOVE to see some pics of how you use the space. We have 3 kids (7, 5 and 1).

Cheers

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
I couldn't find shelves that fit in cupboard from Howard storage I would love shelves in the cupboard I got plastic storage containers on wheel from sam warehouse they just didn't fit so I has a we'd both edges so now I can open draws they were $30 looking for a better method though

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
@Lisa,

There are quite a few people have added shelves or the like to their wardrobe... A quick search should find some, but have a look through people's mods you will be sure to find some.

BJ

Expanda 17.56

Oct 7, 2013
hey Lisa, storage is a trial and error sort of thing in the expanda. We have a 17.56 2010, and the first few times were trial and error. we stick all the dry food in the top shelves and such things as books and knick knacks. we use the shower as dirty clothes storage in garbage bags and this works well. we store out two tables on the floor at the back ontop of the clip together floor mats. then I put the esky on this so it throws weight to the back. the BBQ goes next to this. I then roll our bikes( adult bikes) in there and lay them towards the bed, interlock them and throw our flooring material between them and the shower( for protection).
This works for us and the three kids. Best of luck, hope you enjoy the expanda as we do. Darren

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
we have a 17-56:2 OB it has 1 bunk and a cabinet under with 4 cupboards and 4 draws as well, we removed the ladder, matress, safety frame and I screwed some plastic eyelets to the base. Our table and chairs travel up there with a shock cord over them, there is so much room for the two of us we have empty cupboards everywhere.

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
I have lined all our cupboards with non-slip matting, bought in large rolls from cheap shops. It really helps stop stuff sliding around in the cupboards. I also bought little plastic baskets to put in the overhead cupboards. It helps to keep all the little bits and pieces sorted. The cupboards under the bed in ours are used for some tools and ropes, and dog food, bowls and chains. We have bought some mats for the floor, that have non- skid backing. Keeps the floor in great knick when we're using it, and is also great for stopping stuff that doesn't fit in the cupboards or tunnel boot from moving around as we travel. Pillows packed in garbage bags to keep them clean while you travel are great for protecting the cupboards from being damaged by anything packed on the floor moving around.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Is it just me who thinks the rear storage box under the rear bed is a perfect size for my rifles? and a safe to lock the bolts in.. almost made for it!

Bit flash for a hunting trip though aint it? Might let me mates swag it under the awning ;)

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Is it just me who thinks the rear storage box under the rear bed is a perfect size for my rifles? and a safe to lock the bolts in.. almost made for it!

Bit flash for a hunting trip though aint it? Might let me mates swag it under the awning ;)
Excellent idea. Perhaps some additional sheet steel on the inside wall and doors, and you have a safe that meets the legislation.
But you're right. It is a little flash for the hunting trip.