Squeeking 100 series Landcruiser

michelle menzel

May 21, 2014
Nhill
Our 100 series landcruiser is squeeking badly, to me it sounds like its coming from the front of the car, anyone else had this happen? And any ideas?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@michelle menzel , sounds a little vague
can you give us more hints.......
is it from the engine,
or
only when driving from the front suspension???

also, is your 100 series IFS (Independent Front Suspension) or live axel..........

engine squeeking could be-
fan belt
air con Belt
Air Con pump
Alt bearing
Supercharger Bearing (wooppss sorry thats why I took it off my 100 series............)

front suspension - IFS
CV's
any of the front suspension bushes

front suspension Live Axel
Panhard bushes

just a few guesses...............

Reactions: michelle menzel

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Our 100 series landcruiser is squeeking badly, to me it sounds like its coming from the front of the car, anyone else had this happen? And any ideas?

Yeah a little difficult to diagnose with that information.

Does the squeak get louder when you accelerate or rev the engine ?

Is it a petrol or diesel engine, if petrol V6 or V8, if diesel turbo or non turbo ?

The fan belt on mine has caused a loud squeal a coup,e of times when it gets loose, as has my son's.

michelle menzel

May 21, 2014
Nhill
@michelle menzel , sounds a little vague
can you give us more hints.......
is it from the engine,
or
only when driving from the front suspension???

also, is your 100 series IFS (Independent Front Suspension) or live axel..........

engine squeeking could be-
fan belt
air con Belt
Air Con pump
Alt bearing
Supercharger Bearing (wooppss sorry thats why I took it off my 100 series............)

front suspension - IFS
CV's
any of the front suspension bushes

front suspension Live Axel
Panhard bushes

just a few guesses...............
I dont know what sort of suspension, have had the cv's replaced a few months ago, and it sounds like its from under the car, will ask hubby about the IFS when he gets home, i reckon he replaced those bushes as well trying to get rid of squeek but still does it

michelle menzel

May 21, 2014
Nhill
Yeah a little difficult to diagnose with that information.

Does the squeak get louder when you accelerate or rev the engine ?

Is it a petrol or diesel engine, if petrol V6 or V8, if diesel turbo or non turbo ?

The fan belt on mine has caused a loud squeal a coup,e of times when it gets loose, as has my son's.
Its a turbo diesel 6 cyl. The fan belt has squeeled before on ours too but this is a definite squeek that is just constant, doesnt get louder on acceleration

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Its a turbo diesel 6 cyl. The fan belt has squeeled before on ours too but this is a definite squeek that is just constant, doesnt get louder on acceleration

If its a turbo, its most likely IFS, there were only a few turbos in live axle made.

I have the same car, but if you've already ruled out fanbelt, then I haven't heard anything like that on mine.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I dont know what sort of suspension, have had the cv's replaced a few months ago, and it sounds like its from under the car, will ask hubby about the IFS when he gets home, i reckon he replaced those bushes as well trying to get rid of squeek but still does it

did he change the bushes when they replaced the CV's......... and put in the pretty yellow or red ones? nylothane
(sounds sarcastic - and its NOT - but easiest way to describe them)

if he did - thats whats squeeking, they look good, but they are not very good - factory originals will last longer, and not have squeeking when installed properly

if he didnt - I would be looking at what they did to the CV's & Hubs......

Live axel Cruiser - when you look under the front you can see the diff running from side to side, and ther big "pumpkin" in the middle
100series live diff.jpg
IFS cruiser - you cannot see sod all (unless lifted)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the problem is, with the factory rubber bushes, they wear after awhile,
then they have movement when they are warn - making a squeeking noise

if you have them replaced with the Nylothane type bushes, they are made from a harder plastic compound
supposed to wear better than originals,
except they squeek right from the outset, as they are too hard, and "slide" around in the Bushing spots......

they look good
they sometimes work well
but after having some once before - never again

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
had another thought as well..................

have you had any of the following done BEFORE it started to squeek......

new Bull Bar
New Lights
new Winch