Sold! - Jayco Expanda 12.37 pop-top caravan - Newcastle

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @jacbaz and @jvp , the 12ft Expanda was our (my wife and I) entry into the caravaning life to see if we liked it. Its been a great van and I continue to be amazed at the space in it and how easy it is to tow and set up. Whilst we have only done a few trips, we really enjoy the travel, the lifestyle, and the people you meet along the way. Its been a typical story I expect when owning a van be it your 1st, 2nd or 3rd - you decide on features in a van to improve the experience. For us, it was a full van, double bed, toilet and maybe a shower. I also wanted a van with an ATM less than 2000kg so I didn't have to upgrade our tug. I admit the Kluger is probably not the best choice and in hindsight I probably should have picked a tug with a higher tow capacity when I upgraded from our Toyota sedan. Funny how money plays a role in such plans. Anyway, I have been searching for a used van that meets our checklist. To date, there have been very few that I have found; Jayco Starcraft has been close but the few I found and thought fitted the bill were in WA and Tas. I know we'll get another van and I know we'll be on the road joining the ranks of the grey nomads travelling this great country. I also know I'll still be a regular visitor to expandasdownunder even if I don't end up with a Jayco. The wide range of topics both specific to Jayco expandas and also to general caravaning have been of great assistance to this newbie.

Reactions: jacbaz and 17triton

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
Good luck with the hunting out of a new van ... We love the Starcraft 16.5 but funds do play an important part in what you do!!! I still love our little 12 footer - as you say, heaps of storage for 2 and very comfy ... Make sure you keep us up to date with your new van :)

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
Hi Curryhouse
I'm sure you'll have a quick sale for a top unit. There's a lot of features in such a small space.
Unfortunatly mine has not been used for over a year now due to me having spine surgery & a slow recovery. Anyway having my daily read of this forum & doing the odd mod when I can helps to keep my sanity & hope to use my 12 ft. "home away" one day.
jvp

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Curryhouse
I'm sure you'll have a quick sale for a top unit. There's a lot of features in such a small space.
Unfortunatly mine has not been used for over a year now due to me having spine surgery & a slow recovery. Anyway having my daily read of this forum & doing the odd mod when I can helps to keep my sanity & hope to use my 12 ft. "home away" one day.
jvp

Newsflash!! Sold the van today. Took longer than I had thought (or expected). Used both Caravan & Camping sales and Gumtree - received more inquiries thru Gumtree. Also a lot cheaper to post advert. The van has gone to a very happy couple in the Newcastle area who had to replace their Jayco camper when it was hit by a runaway 4-wheel drive while it was parked in their carport.
I've bought a 2005 Millard Horizon that had the features we were looking for (or hopng for), was within the budget, and within the towing capacity of the Kluger. We are planning our first trip away in mid October travelling down the south coast of NSW, into Victoria onto the GOR and then to Adelaide to visit a daughter. Maybe returning to Newcastle via Broken Hill - got some maps now and will be starting our planning in earnest. With two little mutts travelling with us, need to suss out some pet friendly parks.