Solar Solar set up help - Anderson plugs connection from MPPT to battery

BenjaminF

Jul 28, 2021
Hi everyone,
Im trying to build my very first off-grid solar setup just for some light camping and fun. This is what I wanted to build but Im having issues finding any resources about connecting the MPPT to the Battery. Im using a battery box that has anderson plugs inbuilt. I was hoping to attach the mppt to the battery box via those plugs but Im now unsure if I have to get a anderson plug to terminal connection adapter?

TLDR:
Can the MPPT be connected via anderson cable to the batter box anderson plug?
OR can the MPPT only be connected via battery terminal connection to the literal battery? (If I have to do it this way I will need to lift the battery box lid to access the battery)

setup.jpg

Thank you for any advice!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You don't really need anderson plugs to connect to the controller unless the whole thing is a portable set up in which case it makes it easier..... If the anderson on the battery box is a direct connection to the battery thats the way to go if it runs thru some kind of battery charge indicator, lights or gauge then by-pass it. Using cable of 8 B&S is a reasonable size to use...... It should be noted if your panel has its own controller you must by pass it before plugging into your main controller or nothing will work..... a fuse between controller and battery is advised on both lines.
Some use coloured andersons so they don't get confused and try to plug something else in.......... I charge my boat battery with solar and it plugs into a normal grey anderson on the battery box and it just has a direct connection to the battery terminals a couple of 10mm lugs on the ends of the cable do the job.
. While your not to the stage yet, if you get into off grid nearly all the time like me then you may want to up the system here's a link to explain things you may want to ask later on, it also links to other very informative guides........

BenjaminF

Jul 28, 2021
You don't really need anderson plugs to connect to the controller unless the whole thing is a portable set up in which case it makes it easier..... If the anderson on the battery box is a direct connection to the battery thats the way to go if it runs thru some kind of battery charge indicator, lights or gauge then by-pass it. Using cable of 8 B&S is a reasonable size to use...... It should be noted if your panel has its own controller you must by pass it before plugging into your main controller or nothing will work..... a fuse between controller and battery is advised on both lines.
Some use coloured andersons so they don't get confused and try to plug something else in.......... I charge my boat battery with solar and it plugs into a normal grey anderson on the battery box and it just has a direct connection to the battery terminals a couple of 10mm lugs on the ends of the cable do the job.
. While your not to the stage yet, if you get into off grid nearly all the time like me then you may want to up the system here's a link to explain things you may want to ask later on, it also links to other very informative guides........
Thank you for the tips ! Much appreciated.

It is a portable set up so Anderson is the way I'll go if there's no issues with that.

I'll definitely be adding fuses between the devices. The only other question would be what sized cable would be good for this set up... I know you have specified 8 b&s but just wondering if this is ideal? I was also considering getting a 40a mppt just to future proof a bit if i decide to upgrade the battery setup later as well. Is this okay or would it push more power than the 100ah battery can take ?

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi everyone,
Im trying to build my very first off-grid solar setup just for some light camping and fun. This is what I wanted to build but Im having issues finding any resources about connecting the MPPT to the Battery. Im using a battery box that has anderson plugs inbuilt. I was hoping to attach the mppt to the battery box via those plugs but Im now unsure if I have to get a anderson plug to terminal connection adapter?

TLDR:
Can the MPPT be connected via anderson cable to the batter box anderson plug?
OR can the MPPT only be connected via battery terminal connection to the literal battery? (If I have to do it this way I will need to lift the battery box lid to access the battery)

View attachment 67261

Thank you for any advice!
@BenjaminF , don't forget to adjust the settings on your MPPT controller for charging Lithium batteries.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
35amp would be plenty for the present and for the future but upping to 40a not a biggy, remember an increase in storage is also an increase in panels plus the amount of panels you would need to max out the 35amp controller would make it a hard job to be portable......... The basic rule of thumb is 200w of solar per 100ah of storage, the biggest problem is matching usage to amount of storage, if you use more than 25% then you really need more storage....

8 B&S cable is more than adequate, I have a 5m and a 10m extension cables for use with my portable panel, Andersons on the ends they also get used for running a compressor if needed, lights etc the loss is bugger all, even on a 15m run from my readings, charts will show you need a 6 to 3 B&S but totally impractical besides you would rarely be running that amount of current anyway..... I have wired all my power up using 8, up to the where the van wiring starts and the Jeep and earlier vehicles with no dramas, its far more manageable...

I assume the battery and controller will be mounted in van ???? and you would plug your panel/s into an anderson outside the van, having it all loose would be not a great idea, weather, theives and getting banged about.