Solar panels on Expanda roof

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Finally got the photo I promised some weeks ago. I found that the solar panel that came with my new Expanda 14.44-5 OB had rather sharp corners and nearly ripped my caravan cover as I was pulling it off.
Solution, rubber corners from Clarke Rubber. Hope this might help others

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 325

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Used Selleys Kwik grip advanced as recommended by the Clarke rubber guy. Apply to both surfaces and spread. Let it 'dry' until it becomes tackey. Press and hold them together. I used some plastic twine that I wound around the panel and left it for several hours until I was sure that it was fully set. Worked a treat.

Reactions: The Wadamses

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
If you have a roof top air con and solar panels, the extra weight on the roof may make raising the roof a struggle. If this is the case, you may consider replacing the gas struts. The standard are 500n, so I replaced the back 2 with 600n (a 20% increease). Not an easy task, but do-able.

Mick&Vanessa

Feb 20, 2014
Sydney
Got some rubber corners from Clark Rubber today. They are $4.95 each and you have the choice of light grey or black. Excellent idea, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Ren77

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
If you have a roof top air con and solar panels, the extra weight on the roof may make raising the roof a struggle. If this is the case, you may consider replacing the gas struts. The standard are 500n, so I replaced the back 2 with 600n (a 20% increease). Not an easy task, but do-able.
Does it make a big difference Glen? We've just had solar added, & it does take a whole lot of grunt now.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
yes - I really struggled with the roof top air con and the solar panels - mind you I'm not superman either. I did experiment with 750n and felt it was too strong, so only replaced the back 2 with 600n gas struts. It is doable, but I purchased struts which were not as long as the originals.
The way I replaced them, was to prop up the top in 2 places on the corner which I was replacing. One on the back and one a little further along than the gas strut. Keep the props out of the way of the gas strut. When you undo the gas strut they do travel further out, so keep things clear. Another thing to be aware of is try and get your replacement with the same size ball, otherwise you have to replace the ball on the roof and also on the body of the van - one has a hidden nut! Then I attached the top end and using a long wood clamp gradually compress the strut down to fit onto the bottom ball. Protect the van from being scratched by the clamp by having some scrap along the top of the van. Then repeat for the other side.