Solar solar panels do fail without warning

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yes, more true stories from the field. Same camping spot as before and elderly couple complained to me that the batteries in their motor home were down to 11.80 volts and the panels on the roof were not charging at all. Food in compressor fridge in danger of perishing unless something done. What's a man to do when called to help??
Found vehicle had 2 X 105ah AGMs in parallel which were over 8 years old but were working okay a couple of days earlier when panels on roof were working. Panels on roof consisted of various types and various ages, all stuck down on roof of motor home and connected in parallel with waterproof connectors and junction boxes to a MPPT controller. No voltage or current indicated on controller , even battery voltage. Panels were 2 X 65w rubber-backed type, 1 X 50w rubber backed, 2 X 100w flexible type stuck directly to roof, one of which was only 2 years old and was the most recent one fitted. After disconnecting motor home's solar input to controller and connecting up my solar power station with a bit of electrical wire, we were rewarded with huge power input of 25A and battery voltage increase, so MPPT controller proven. Then reconnected MPPT input cable for motor home, and connected EVERY roof panel ONE AT A TIME, cleaning the surfaces as we went. All except one produced good output in volts and amps through MPPT controller. Of course, the last one tested was the newest 100w model and it was dead, although there was no visible damage or burn through and electrical connection on panel was still sealed from the weather. But that one was the culprit - obviously was shorting out all current from all the other panels, even though all were equally in full sun. After reconnecting all the proven panels, total current IN was just over 15A which made the couple very happy and allowed them to stay another night, which we celebrated together. So age means nothing for solar panels as @DRW said to @Drover , although IMHO, those so called "flexible solar panels" are always a bit suss, especially if placed straight on roof with no air gap. They are also easily damaged by trees or accidental weight being placed on them. I knew that a singe break in a SERIES line would prevent any power being delivered to controller, but this is the first time I had found a single solar panel stopping ALL current from other panels (all in parallel) from reaching controller. Still learning all the time for me. Perhaps Mike @mikerezny would like to comment on this incident that could happen to anyone with panels connected in parallel?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have often found that "The Green Steam" doesn't always read the manual, most annoying when it doesn't follow the rules................

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
There is a large Australian caravan manufacture who has begun sticking flexible panels to the roof and it’s causing heaps of problems around here, up side is my son in law has been collecting the styrofoam from the replacements and used it to insulate his patio roof lol

@DRW , they cal that "recycling" don't they??

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I have 1 working flexible solar panel left out of the 4 cheap ebay ones with 6 months being the average life. From what I can see the renogy ones are the only reasonably priced ones with a warranty longer than a year (the alternative marine ones are very expensive).

The faulty panel must have a short circuit ? My first check would be the bypass diode. I have seen parallel panels fitted with a separate diode in series with each to prevent this but you do lose a bit of voltage

In my case the problem is the cheap panel surface becoming opaque from the uv and I'm trying different ideas to polish and protect before going back to rigid

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I have 1 working flexible solar panel left out of the 4 cheap ebay ones with 6 months being the average life. From what I can see the renogy ones are the only reasonably priced ones with a warranty longer than a year (the alternative marine ones are very expensive).

The faulty panel must have a short circuit ? My first check would be the bypass diode. I have seen parallel panels fitted with a separate diode in series with each to prevent this but you do lose a bit of voltage

In my case the problem is the cheap panel surface becoming opaque from the uv and I'm trying different ideas to polish and protect before going back to rigid
Thanks for your report @jazzeddie1234 . I agree that the faulty panel must have a short circuit and that the diode is allowing generated current to be fed INTO the panel, instead of blocking it and thus the panel is seen as a load - a shorted one at that!!! The problem is that the connection point for output also contains the blocking diode under sealed epoxy within an enclosed space. Destruction only way to break into area. As far as blocking diodes with my own setup, that is taken care of by the MPPT controller. With with all my own rigid folding panels in SERIES that is not a concern. And all the BYPASS diodes on the panels themselves (standard silicon type) have been replaced with the low loss Schottky type.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Yes, more true stories from the field. Same camping spot as before and elderly couple complained to me that the batteries in their motor home were down to 11.80 volts and the panels on the roof were not charging at all. Food in compressor fridge in danger of perishing unless something done. What's a man to do when called to help??
Found vehicle had 2 X 105ah AGMs in parallel which were over 8 years old but were working okay a couple of days earlier when panels on roof were working. Panels on roof consisted of various types and various ages, all stuck down on roof of motor home and connected in parallel with waterproof connectors and junction boxes to a MPPT controller. No voltage or current indicated on controller , even battery voltage. Panels were 2 X 65w rubber-backed type, 1 X 50w rubber backed, 2 X 100w flexible type stuck directly to roof, one of which was only 2 years old and was the most recent one fitted. After disconnecting motor home's solar input to controller and connecting up my solar power station with a bit of electrical wire, we were rewarded with huge power input of 25A and battery voltage increase, so MPPT controller proven. Then reconnected MPPT input cable for motor home, and connected EVERY roof panel ONE AT A TIME, cleaning the surfaces as we went. All except one produced good output in volts and amps through MPPT controller. Of course, the last one tested was the newest 100w model and it was dead, although there was no visible damage or burn through and electrical connection on panel was still sealed from the weather. But that one was the culprit - obviously was shorting out all current from all the other panels, even though all were equally in full sun. After reconnecting all the proven panels, total current IN was just over 15A which made the couple very happy and allowed them to stay another night, which we celebrated together. So age means nothing for solar panels as @DRW said to @Drover , although IMHO, those so called "flexible solar panels" are always a bit suss, especially if placed straight on roof with no air gap. They are also easily damaged by trees or accidental weight being placed on them. I knew that a singe break in a SERIES line would prevent any power being delivered to controller, but this is the first time I had found a single solar panel stopping ALL current from other panels (all in parallel) from reaching controller. Still learning all the time for me. Perhaps Mike @mikerezny would like to comment on this incident that could happen to anyone with panels connected in parallel?
Hi @Boots in Action,

it is most probably either a S/C bypass diode or a S/C panel. You need to open up the connection panel and check if there is a diode or two wired across the output terminals. If so, unsolder one end to isolate the problem to either the diode or the panel.

take care
Mike

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @Boots in Action,

it is most probably either a S/C bypass diode or a S/C panel. You need to open up the connection panel and check if there is a diode or two wired across the output terminals. If so, unsolder one end to isolate the problem to either the diode or the panel.

take care
Mike

Good to hear your comments Mike @mikerezny. I agree with your thoughts, but opening up the connection point on these flexible panels (there is no central control box) is not possible without destroying the area where output connection is made. The small container (thin box area) is completely sealed in epoxy resin to prevent movement and exclude weather and moisture, unlike the rigid glass ones which have an accessible waterproof box for connections from panel and to output leads. More than likely will cause more damage to connections to panel cells than getting to the diodes. And of course, there could be damage to one or more of the cells or strings. Glad I do not have any of that sort! Note that none of the panels involved had any sort of controller, just an output lead for connection to a separate controller.

Reactions: mikerezny

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@Boots in Action where is this jinx'ed campground you keep returning to. I want to avoid it if I can.

Is it a coincidence that you seem to be the only one that drives out of the camping Bermuda Triangle unscathed ???

@Crusty181 , Never had any issues at this park or any others except Jimna nearby when my 3 way fridge had a"spack attack" with the burner being partially blocked by fried "bugs" falling from chimney above. No one there to help me anyway, so had to sort out problem myself.
If one is going to go into '"the Bermuda Triangle" , then as @Drover has spruiked, know your equipment and know how to fix it! It is not the park but the people going in there with insufficient knowledge or experience. They may see my solar farm and me lazing around enjoying a drink (cold too) and not worrying about anything. Hence they stroll over and ask a few questions as to why I am so comfortable and they have a problem. If asked, I will ALWAYS try to assist and use my electrical/solar knowledge to help someone. They may be able to help me one day if my diesel tug has a problem. It is great when folks have been sorted out, their power is restored and fridge going well again. Leads to many a invitation for a drink and a chat with people who appreciate what you have done.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 , Never had any issues at this park or any others except Jimna nearby when my 3 way fridge had a"spack attack" with the burner being partially blocked by fried "bugs" falling from chimney above. No one there to help me anyway, so had to sort out problem myself.
If one is going to go into '"the Bermuda Triangle" , then as @Drover has spruiked, know your equipment and know how to fix it! It is not the park but the people going in there with insufficient knowledge or experience. They may see my solar farm and me lazing around enjoying a drink (cold too) and not worrying about anything. Hence they stroll over and ask a few questions as to why I am so comfortable and they have a problem. If asked, I will ALWAYS try to assist and use my electrical/solar knowledge to help someone. They may be able to help me one day if my diesel tug has a problem. It is great when folks have been sorted out, their power is restored and fridge going well again. Leads to many a invitation for a drink and a chat with people who appreciate what you have done.
Problem shared is a problem halved. Plus if you fix it for them, they can do the relaxing

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic

Attachments

• E71B7DD6-75D2-48E9-A3C3-A4B215E16AF5.jpeg
    E71B7DD6-75D2-48E9-A3C3-A4B215E16AF5.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 213

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@Boots in Action where is this jinx'ed campground you keep returning to. I want to avoid it if I can.

Is it a coincidence that you seem to be the only one that drives out of the camping Bermuda Triangle unscathed ???

Hi @Crusty181 , this is why I return often to the Booloumba Creek Triangle. Crystal clear mountain streams, clear pools to die for, all surrounded by heavy rain forest. No sign of any lost aircraft or ships or bodies. Water is more than 3 metres deep on right rear of picture. Unfortunately, too many people now know about this place and it is packed at weekends. Peaceful and paradise mid week. @rags also knows where this place is.

P1340682.JPG

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hi @Crusty181 , this is why I return often to the Booloumba Creek Triangle. Crystal clear mountain streams, clear pools to die for, all surrounded by heavy rain forest. No sign of any lost aircraft or ships or bodies. Water is more than 3 metres deep on right rear of picture. Unfortunately, too many people now know about this place and it is packed at weekends. Peaceful and paradise mid week. @rags also knows where this place is.

View attachment 66390
Nope - couldn't see the attraction of camping up next to that :biggrin:

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
His other favourite place is full of sandflies so this place probably has leeches, snakes and greenies laying in wait................................

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
His other favourite place is full of sandflies so this place probably has leeches, snakes and greenies laying in wait................................

Not quite right @Drover. The other place is NO favourite, just a place to chase the illusive fish like you do. I am about as successful as you in that regard!!!

At my real favourite place, it has all the ingredients you mentioned, except you forgot the TICKS lurking on the bushes and other foliage in the forest, the "wait-a-whiles" that grab you as you pass and the stinging trees, but definitely no sandflies. Also the dingos occasionally roaming around and howling at times. Not to mention access over the two creek crossings suitable for high rise 4WD only.
Aaaahhhh, that is a small cost for entering a place like that to camp for a few days. Maybe not for the timid campers!!! Many have entered, and some have failed to leave without assistance as my previous posts explain.