Starcraft Solar panel connection

Tony and linda

Nov 30, 2022
Gympie
Firstly thank you for all for letting us join you all.
I have a quick question. Having never had a shunt on any of my vans before. Just wondering where do i connect the negative terminal ( of a secondary portable solar panel ) on the shunt , battery side connection or far side connection.
I want the secondary panel to be able to charge batteries while in a unpowered shed.it will be a dedicated fused yellow anderson plug direct to battery , thanks .

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Firstly thank you for all for letting us join you all.
I have a quick question. Having never had a shunt on any of my vans before. Just wondering where do i connect the negative terminal ( of a secondary portable solar panel ) on the shunt , battery side connection or far side connection.
I want the secondary panel to be able to charge batteries while in a unpowered shed.it will be a dedicated fused yellow anderson plug direct to battery , thanks .
Welcome to the forum @Tony and linda . A shunt is not necessary unless you are wanting to have your van battery monitor see what is coming into battery or provide info for van battery storage instruments. You can connect the solar input direct to positive and negative terminals of battery (fused of course!) as long as you have the controller in line. This will not affect the other solar connection via a shunt, but may cause conflict with the other controller if both trying to operate at the same time. A good solar controller with a display will provide details of battery voltage and current input in amps without the need for a shunt.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Tony and linda

Nov 30, 2022
Gympie
Thank's boots i had it connected that way but then started thinking about the shunt?? So disconnected so I'll reconnect now the anderson plug has a casing with a neon light but that wont draw any power .thank you again.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Welcome to the forum @Tony and linda . A shunt is not necessary unless you are wanting to have your van battery monitor see what is coming into battery or provide info for van battery storage instruments. You can connect the solar input direct to positive and negative terminals of battery (fused of course!) as long as you have the controller in line. This will not affect the other solar connection via a shunt, but may cause conflict with the other controller if both trying to operate at the same time. A good solar controller with a display will provide details of battery voltage and current input in amps without the need for a shunt.
SO if I want to, can I attach a solar panel to the battery and not worry about the fact it is also charged by power? Obviously, I would not need to have both connected at the same time.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
SO if I want to, can I attach a solar panel to the battery and not worry about the fact it is also charged by power? Obviously, I would not need to have both connected at the same time.
Correct @1DayIll. The portable has its own solar controller adjusting voltage and current when connected even if van is connected to shore power. Even if portable solar panel is connected across van battery and van is still connected to 240 volt van charging system (with your Setec system???), each will still operate, although there will (or maybe??) some conflict in the charging. If battery is low, both will operate to their capacity and when approaching full charge, the controller (Setec or the one attached to solar panel) will finish off the charging. As the Setec has a max charge voltage of only 14.0 volts before going to FLOAT voltage, I suspect the portable solar controller will continue to charge a little higher as it probably has a max charge voltage of around 14.3 or 14.4 volts. Check specs of solar controller for exact figures. Think about all the vans with solar panels on roof charging away whilst in the sun in a caravan park while at the same time the van is connected to 240 volt power which means the Setec (or other MBS) will be also charging battery/ies as necessary. The controller with the highest max charging voltage will always win!!!