solar blanket for awning or roof, ideas welcome

matt

Aug 20, 2011
Brisvegas
Hi all, I'm looking at making a solar blanket with air-cell insulation (retroshield) for my soon to be arriving Panda 14.44.4, sold my hawk this week, sold in 6 days, it was b..... beauty).

Q. has anyone made one for their roof or annexe roof, and if so does it work ok, and, also has any one made one for their bed end fly to keep them warm in winter?

The rolls come in 1350mm by 5.9m handypack rolls for around $100 (bunnings), joining tape around $29

I was then going to cut up an old tarp where grommets are and sew the grommets and tarp corners on as reinforcements to fix it to the van etc.

Any ideas welcome, tarps are good for weather protection but wanting something for heat/cold protection.

Cheers
Matt

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Matt
My job is thermal performance of homes. For foil products there are two parts to consider.
1. To create an insulation benefit, (to retain heat in winter) they need a 'still' airgap. Its the air space that creates the insulation barrier, rather than the product itself. If wanting to install it over the roof, try to mount it in such a way as to get about a 25-35mm gap between it and roof, and have the sides continue down a bit to 'trap' the air.
2. as a reflective barrier. This simply reflects a percentage of the suns solar radiation off the roof of the van. For best effect, silver side up, but may annoy others with reflection. This keeps heat out of the van

I haven't tried it on the swan, but have considered it. *Theoretically* the second option should have a decent effect, but with foam already in the roof section, I would not be confident on the first. Also, the flip side of the first option is the winter sun is also being reflected away, thus relying on a heater more.
Carbon tax. Carbon tax. Carbon Tax

matt

Aug 20, 2011
Brisvegas
Thanks good advice, heat is the main issue, especially when not using the a/c or natural breeze, cheers straydingo , you didnt take Azaria did you???? matt